Hogan teaches the spirit of music

Trevor Bleedorn

Every week, Iowa State choral students devote their time to learning notes on a page. This week, they will be able to better understand where the inspiration behind the notes comes from.

Pianist, conductor and arranger of African-American spirituals, Moses Hogan, has been spending time with the students this week.

The activities will culminate at tonight’s performance, which will feature Hogan directing the ISU Oratorio Choir, Iowa State Singers, the combined choirs and a medley of student soloists.

“No experience or training is better than working with the actual composer,” Hogan says. “It’s a great experience for the students.”

The entire program includes pieces arranged by Hogan himself and takes place at 7:30 p.m. tonight in the Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall in the Music Hall.

Hogan is the recipient of the fall Louise Moen Chair in Music, which is a chair that was created to attract nationally known artists to the Iowa State department of music.

The New Orleans, La., native directs the Moses Hogan Chorale, which has been to famed performing arts hot spots such as the John F. Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., and the Sydney Opera House in Australia.

Hogan’s work is recognized at all choral levels ranging from churches and high schools to the renowned Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Robert Molison, director of choral activity, comments, “As a musician, he does things with a great deal of vitality and taste. In other words, there is a tremendous musical will. He is forceful with piano, conducting and arranging.”

Hogan speaks comfortably about the origins of his will to create music.

“My parents wanted me to be honest with my creativity,” Hogan says. “Whatever I wanted to do musically, they encouraged it.”

Molison says the African-American spiritual is one of many streams of culture that Americans inherit.

“The spiritual has roots in Africa, but has grown here,” Molison says.

Upon his arrival Wednesday afternoon, Hogan almost immediately began rehearsing the 16 pieces ISU choral students will perform tonight.

Hogan also shared his successes with ISU music students and the general public during public lectures Thursday.

Hogan will provide direction and piano accompaniment for about 160 ISU students during tonight’s performance.

Kelly Johnson, senior in vocal music education, will perform a solo during the combined choir portion of the concert. Johnson also hopes to gain some instructional ideas from Hogan.

“I hope I will be able to pick up some tips about teaching, especially about spiritual literature. It’s something I haven’t had too much exposure to,” Johnson says.

Molison agrees that learning from the source is a unique experience for the students.

“[Students] have performed the music, but they don’t know where it comes from,” Molison says. “I hope they will be inspired and changed.”

Hogan studied as a concert pianist and began exploring the choral medium in the early 1980s. The fear of asking his students to buy literature encouraged him to begin arranging.

“It was never my intent to get anything published,” Hogan says. “It wasn’t until I needed 6,000 copies of an arrangement that I was discovered.”

Hogan says that even when composers might consider a composition complete, it is never really finished.

“I am very lucky to have a choir to try everything out,” Hogan says. “My music is a self-assessment, I try to be objective.”

Molison stresses that the students need to learn that famous people are not aloof and are still “real” people.

“[Hogan] found where he wanted to go and didn’t let anything get in his way,” Molison says.

The one universal theme that comes from everyone involved in Hogan’s residence is that the performers are only as good as the instructor.

Leslie Schafer, junior in vocal performance, will be accompanied and directed by Hogan tonight as a solo performer.

“I want to work with someone who is currently doing what I want to in the future,” Schafer says. “You have a composer telling you exactly what they want from their music.”

Molison also acknowledges Hogan’s genius and applies it to his teaching styles.

“He will be a task master. He will insist on precision and accuracy while being true to the spirit of the music,” Molison relates.

Hogan summarizes his understanding of musical appreciation and the concepts behind his instruction.

“We sing for the composer’s intent. If we are true to the composer’s intent and the message of the song, the audience response will be natural,” Hogan says. “If the choir sings well, it’s because the conductor is in tune with the composer’s intent.”

Hogan will conclude the residency Saturday morning with an instructional clinic for local high school students.