What is the norm?

Pat Hindman

I read a letter by Ms. Carolyn Basak last week. The article contained several statements I do not believe are well-grounded in fact.

I agree with the need to do a better job of covering the College of Agriculture.

Ms. Basak’s letter mentioned the Daily was leaving the impression the people in agriculture were unimportant. I don’t know what drives her to this conclusion. I haven’t seen anything in the Daily that would lead me to that belief.

She also mentioned the job of the Daily was to educate the public. I don’t believe education is the purpose of the Daily. I would be happy if they performed their mission to inform.

The letter stated farmers make meager incomes and the public thanks them by not trusting them. She asked if feed lots were a form of animal cruelty.

Well, hopefully they are not, but that could be a matter of perspective.

Another issue was “do swine confinements pollute our air and water?” I’m sorry, but I didn’t know that was a question. Sure they do. Check out any number of fish kills. Some of those were caused by hog waste running into our waterways.

The next was “Are genetically altered crops safe to eat?” Out of all honesty, I believe the jury is still out on that one.

My concern pertaining to genetically altered crops lies in the belief that if we eliminate all the insects with Bt this and Bt that, we will be creating more problems with pollination and other food chain consequences.

Insects are a vital part of our world. I question the power of the genetically altered seed to produce a crop that selectively kills the “bad” insect.

I believe the way we educate each other and ourselves is by first questioning. We have to keep our minds open to possibilities, all possibilities.

Ms. Basak then states, “What we should be doing is thanking them [farmers] for their sacrifice.” Get serious.

When was the last time Ms. Basak thanked the custodian for emptying the trash or scrubbing the floor? It is a tough, thankless world lacking civility out there. Your letter proves the point. But, you are not the only one at fault.

There was another letter authored by students in animal science. Neither letter represents my views. And I would bet their views are not departmental views.

The letter is titled “Ag Week Important” and was co-written by Mr. Rodeck, Ms. Strysko, Ms. Johnson and Ms. Carrie Basak.

This letter was aimed at belittling the Daily staff and the gay and lesbian community here at Iowa State.

The first paraphrase that disturbed me was, ” … so many poor little gay men and women … “

Where do you get the right to belittle people? Comments like that alienate you from the rest of the student body. They make “you” small.

The letter made a further statement that farmers “… so bravely face the everyday difficult …”

The bravest one I’ve seen lately was the farmer driving a John Deere pulling two grain wagons down Highway 17 one evening at sundown. That guy had to be brave.

Later in the letter the complaints continue. An opinion is shared that the Daily staff is more interested in covering the sex lives of students that choose to abstain from the norm (sexually).

What is the norm? Who decides, a few homophobic animal science students? Not at the university I attend.

Pat Hindman

Senior

Animal Science