Ag Week important

This letter is written in frustration at the ineptitude and flagrant liberal bias displayed by the editors of the Iowa State Daily. The Daily has consistently spent more attention on its own agendas and sacrificed responsible reporting to further the ideas of several people in charge of the articles written.

The focal point of disgust is that during Coming Out Week, the Daily printed a front page article discussing the difficulties of being a homosexual on campus every day of the week and have yet to print a single front page article about Ag Week, which is this week. They went on about how so many poor little gay men and women were so bravely facing the biases against them in everyday society. The paper seemed to make heroes out of those who “came out of the closet” in the residence halls and those who aided the LGBTAA in their quest to make our campus pink in gay pride.

Where is the coverage of those who so bravely face the everyday difficulty of running a farm, raising crops, producing livestock and raising the food we take for granted every day?

Farmers work hard while fighting the attacks on them by animal rights activists and city folk who can not stand the smells accompanying the production of the food they so readily eat. Livestock producers must also fight greedy packing plants that are continually raising their food prices for consumers while constantly lowering the prices they pay the farmers for their commodities.

The Daily seems to blatantly ignore the issues that greatly affect the future of America, and spend more time covering the sex lives of students who choose to abstain from the norm. Iowa State has an entire College of Agriculture providing Ames, Iowa, America and the entire world with educated graduates willing to help provide the food for the more than 6 billion people who live on the Earth. It seems that the Daily can’t even spend the time to write a simple article covering the different advances of agriculture and its technologies that this university has provided society during a week that agriculture is being celebrated.

One editor in particular, Jason Vos, should have made a point of getting at least one article on the front page in the beginning of Ag Week. Mr. Vos is the College of Agriculture Board rep for the Daily, and he should have personally seen to it that something was put in the paper about agriculture.

It just seems plain silly that this liberal paper, the Daily, has come to the point of showing the students that Fag Week is more important than Ag Week.

Alex Rodeck

Junior

Animal science

Krysta Strysko

Senior

Animal science

Angela Johnson

Senior

Animal science

Carrie Basak

Junior

Animal science