Committee chooses theme for Veishea 2000: ‘Today’s Dreams, Tomorrow’s Reality’

Emily Graham

Veishea 2000 has received the go-ahead from all the necessary student organizations, and the event’s planning committees have been hard at work to come up with a theme for this spring’s celebration.

“Today’s Dreams, Tomorrow’s Reality” was chosen from a pool of six finalists to be this year’s theme, said Justin Chesnut, Veishea co-chairman.

“We started off with so many, and the first time we narrowed it down to the first 15,” said Chesnut, senior in agricultural systems technology.

“From there, we narrowed it again to about six. Then we tried to take things from this one and that one to get the best theme,” he said.

Justin Wilhelm, Veishea co-chairman, said theme ideas came from committee members, campus leaders and executive board members.

Chesnut said there were many reasons “Today’s Dreams, Tomorrow’s Reality” was selected for Veishea 2000.

“We chose this one because when people come to ISU, they come for an education, but when they leave, they want to get a good job,” he said.

“Veishea provides students with an opportunity to get leadership experience they can take into their life with them. That is tomorrow’s reality,” Chesnut said.

Wilhelm, senior in mechanical engineering, said the Veishea committee tried to stay away from themes relating to the millennium because they felt that term has been overused this year.

“We wanted something that would go along with the university’s advancements in technology that would still be vague enough to be applied in other ways, too,” he said.

Committee members soon will be sending out surveys so students can have input for this year’s Veishea entertainment.