Vilsack visits ISU to honor Atanasoff with award

Pat Glennon

The late John Vincent Atanasoff has joined the ranks of lauded Iowans such as Herbert Hoover, George Washington Carver and James Van Allen by receiving the coveted Iowa Award, the highest honor the state can give for extraordinary contributions in community service.

Gov. Tom Vilsack was on hand at Howe Hall Tuesday to present the award to Atanasoff’s son, John Vincent Atanasoff II, in recognition of his father’s work at Iowa State on the first digital computer, the Atanasoff Berry Computer, in the 1930s.

Vilsack apologized to the family of Atanasoff Sr. for the delay it took to recognize his accomplishments.

ISU President Martin Jischke said the award marks an exciting day for the university.

“Receiving the Iowa Award is very special for Professor Atanasoff, his family and also for Iowa State. This is where he did it and where he was a faculty member. The fact that he invented this machine is very much related to his work as a professor,” he said.

Jischke said Atanasoff invented the computer because his students were forced to spend months doing tedious calculations on mechanical-adding machines.

“He thought it was a waste of their time and creativity. He wanted to speed [calculations] up so the students would devote more of their time and attention to being creative and inventive doing their research,” he said.

Atanasoff said he was thankful that the state of Iowa recognized his father’s achievements.

“He certainly deserves the recognition; he came onto something that is really world-class,” Atanasoff said.

Atanasoff also challenged ISU researchers to continue their work in technology-related fields.

“I am encouraging Iowa State to strengthen and grow their information technology departments. It started here in Ames, and it should be leader here in the future,” he said.

Michael Fitzgerald, treasurer of Iowa, said the award was established by the Iowa Centennial Memorial Foundation in 1948.

“The foundation encourages the outstanding services of Iowans in the fields of science, medicine, law, religion, social welfare, education, agriculture, industry, government and other social services,” he said. “The award is a recognition of Iowans’ accomplishments in Iowa and throughout the world.”