Why no Billy Joel?

Michael Eraas

I am very disappointed with the Daily’s reporting. Billy Joel is giving a concert in Hilton Coliseum on Sunday, Dec. 12. The performance is one of only seven shows in the whole country. Tickets went on sale, I repeat WENT on sale, this past Saturday. I kept my eye on the Daily all last week and never saw one word printed about the ticket sale.

Moreover, a faculty member in my department told me that he, too, looked to the Daily for more information and was disappointed by its lack of coverage.

I spoke with Corey Moss; he said people in the ISU ticket office typically run an advertisement prior to such sales, but this time – for whatever reason – they did not.

Mr. Moss went on to say that he knew of the concert and indicated the Daily will provide coverage of the show at a later date. He said it is not their practice to announce ticket sales in advance. Why not?

Why shouldn’t the Daily get the word out about upcoming ticket sales? In my opinion, it’s far less useful to inform students of events AFTER tickets have gone on sale.

The Daily and Corey Moss are doing a poor job of keeping students informed of important entertainment events.

Mr. Moss said “I just figured most people knew about the ticket sale.”

That is a ridiculous comment for a reporter to make. Sara Huber, an advertising/promotions person in the ISU ticket office, concurs with me about the Daily’s unwillingness to keep students informed. She said two press releases about the concert were sent to the Daily, and the paper simply chose not to print them.

She went on to say that many press releases are sent to the Daily, and it ROUTINELY fails to include the information in its editions. Students missed learning of several events and performances this past fall for this reason.

She indicated this has been the Daily’s practice for quite some time, and she is very frustrated by their actions and does not know what else to do.

I am very disappointed in the subjectiveness of the Daily’s reporting. I believe a basic responsibility of a school newspaper is to keep the students informed of campus events, and not when it is too late to be useful. In my opinion, the Daily receives a failing grade with respect to this issue.

Michael Eraas

Graduate student

Statistics