Ceramics professor returns from Japan with new work

Carrie Ann Morgan

Ceramics and photographs created by an Iowa State design professor during a monthlong workshop in Japan are on display in the office of the dean of the College of Design.

Ingrid Lilligren, associate professor of ceramics, was one of 16 artists chosen from around the world to participate this summer in the 15th International Workshop of Ceramic Art in Tokoname, Japan.

“She’s brought back the entire journey, which I think is great,” said Mark Engelbrecht, dean of the design college.

The exhibition started Nov. 1 and will be displayed through Dec. 3.

“I believe her to be one of the most interesting ceramists — her work is shown all over the country,” Engelbrecht said. “Her work has a unique sculptural quality that’s a cross between pottery and sculpture. We’re very lucky to have her here.”

Lilligren has had an interest in traveling to Japan for a while and took this opportunity to learn more about the country, which has a long history in ceramics.

“I didn’t know what to expect,” she said. “It was delightful not to know what to expect. Then it is fresh, new and exciting.”

Besides displaying her work in the dean’s office, Lilligren photocopied color pictures from her trip onto transparencies and taped them to the windows as part of the exhibition.

“I like having the image and outside world visible through the transparencies, a lot like the memory of the trip is for me,” Lilligren said.

Small sculptural pieces and plates were selected as the best representations from the 130 pieces of artwork from the workshop, Lilligren said. In Japan, dessert plates have a cultural importance because they hold small sweets before tea is served, she said.

“The dessert plates are different than the set of plates you would give as a wedding present,” she said. “In Japan, they have a great appreciation for ceramics — the color, form and textures. We don’t have the same appreciation in our country.”

Lilligren stayed in Tokoname, a city she said is the size of Ames with a fair amount of ceramic industry.

“It was hot and humid — I never perspired so much in all my life,” Lilligren said. “The river of sweat was part of the experience. It was great; I didn’t mind it.”

Workshop participants used local clays and fired their work in traditional wood-fired kilns, rather than an electrical or gas-fired kiln like those at ISU, Lilligren said.

“You never absolutely know with any kiln how it will turn out,” she said. “It’s either enormously compelling or enormously frustrating.”

Lilligren said it was interesting to interact with people because American customs are so different from Japanese customs.

“I lived in [Los Angeles] for 10 years, so it didn’t feel strange to be in a culture that wasn’t Anglo,” she said. “But when I got back, it took me about three days to stop bowing to everybody.”

Kristin Wright, teaching assistant in ceramics, accompanied Lilligren to Japan.

“It was a place I’ve wanted to visit,” Wright said. “I has a rich tradition in craft, a lot of history … Asian countries are more advanced in their processes of firing.”

Wright graduated from ISU with a degree in ceramics and has been working with Lilligren and others for the past two years.

“Working with Lilligren, I’ve learned the value of affirming students as people,” Wright said. “She allows and encourages students to take direction, letting go and lessening the structure of the course.”

Wright is working toward her Ph.D. in education and helps Lilligren teach ceramics courses.

“What I really enjoy about her is she’s well-versed in a lot of things. She’s an accomplished artist, and her pieces are carefully thought through,” Wright said. “She has a lot of knowledge about chemistry and ceramics all over the board in terms of what she can do and do it well.”

Lilligren will be speaking about her Japanese experiences today at 4 p.m. in Room 416 of the College of Design.