Controversy is good

Jeremy Schwennen

I honestly admit, I only read the Daily for the controversy. And oh, was I delighted by what awaited me this week as I peered into the back issues looking for the wonderful insights of my fellow students.

Let’s begin with getting some simple facts out on the table. I am a member of the College of Agriculture, I have participated in Ag Week activities in the past, and had I been in town, would have done so again.

I come from a farming community, my mother operates a goat dairy, my father is a livestock trucker, and ALL of my grandparents were dairy farmers.

I have been inundated with farming, agriculture and animal science for as long as I can remember. Maybe I am gay, maybe I am not. I don’t think it has anything to do with the issue of Ag Week coverage.

I was disappointed at the lack of coverage the Daily gave Ag Week, but I found it acceptable, considering that many of the articles printed on a daily basis are ag-based.

Considering this is the only agricultural college in the state, I would assume that everyone here understands that ag is important to the school, the state and so forth.

So, why do we get so upset that some other organization (today, the LGBTAA, tomorrow, the Baptist Coalition, the next day Pok‚mon-Lovers Anonymous — does it really matter?) steals “our” deserved front- page space?

Is it because no one cares about those issues, as letters since the initial “Ag Week vs. Fag Week” letter have contested? I have no choice but to wonder: If no one cares about these things, why do we have organizations devoted to them?

Every student organization, regardless of philosophy, has the right to be recognized in the paper that, supposedly, represents an entire university.

If the Daily had REFUSED to print front-page Ag Week articles, this would be an issue.

Prove to me that the paper actually said “we don’t care about your little ‘week,’ we are too busy building queers up on a pedestal,” and I think your point will have newfound followers.

It just forces me to wonder how four intelligent students could all come to the conclusion that it was necessary to ruin an otherwise flawless and well-worded letter by throwing in some cheap attention-getting shots?

I probably speak only for myself: You had me at your hello, but lost me with your good-bye.

Jeremy Schwennen

Freshman

Ag education