Resign, Jischke

Hamlin R. Krewson

Martin Jischke, if you aren’t going to work with students, then perhaps it is time to call for your resignation. Iowa State University is an institution designed to help students gain the knowledge and experience to make it in today’s society.

You claim to have a good history of being able to work with students, but your history shows that when it comes to hot issues, you will stick to your own prejudiced beliefs before considering the students.

Some five years ago, The September 29th Movement came forth to ask you and the regents to reconsider the naming of Catt Hall. Despite the pleading for a meeting to discuss the issue, you rejected them on all fronts because you were upset with the way they had originally handled it. You dismissed the opinion of the several hundred members of that group and the thousand signatures of support they had garnered.

Now, for the last few years you have stripped the students of an inalienable right to choice. A right guaranteed by our Constitution. You have stripped the rights of those students 21 and older who have been guaranteed by the federal government the right to consume alcohol.

In more than 70 years of Veishea celebrations, one person has been killed in a party-related incident. So what?

This incident could easily have happened at any frat party on any weekend of the year. It wasn’t about Veishea. There was no evidence that the killers had even been drinking, though many of the witnesses had been.

Excuse me for being crass, but that is a very good record. Every year, thousands are killed in automotive accidents. Will you ban the use of vehicles on campus? Athletes get injured in games. Maybe we should get rid of the athletic department.

You state you don’t have the authority to allow an equal student voice in drafting student conduct codes. That needs to change. We know you have the power to affect change. ISU needs to understand the students are what matter most, not faculty, employees, and not you.

Students have made an adult decision to come here for an education. Unfortunately, you seem to be teaching them that regardless of their age they are only children who should be “seen and not heard.”

Hamlin R. Krewson

Alumnus

Story City