Former professor’s stories capture veterinarian humor

Kelsey Foutch

Every job has its ups and downs. In order to stick it out during the down times, a person has really got to love his or her job.

Love for his work is what kept James Lucas in the veterinary profession for 36 years, and it’s also what led him to write “Birth in a Chicken House.”

The collection of short stories tells tall but true tales of sometimes stubborn animals, and often even more stubborn people.

With a small-town practice in Bedford, Lucas dedicated his life to his love of animals. Lucas writes, “I discovered then the glory came from the love of life, the love of people, the love of animals, and the love of being able to help those animals and their owners.”

The selections go beyond Lucas’ many years of practice to include stories of his college days. One Iowa State professor countered Lucas’ enthusiasm on his first day of vet school. Lucas calls the hated Dr. Borkman “the south end of a horse standing north.”

After enduring trials from professors, the cows would give him a piece of excitement after he returned from school. One day, while taking a routine call, Lucas ended up spending his afternoon rounding up cattle when they unexpectedly escaped from their pens.

“Birth” is obviously aimed at the rural community and those who would understand the humor in small-town Iowa life. Lucas has given farmers and vets over 60 conversation pieces in his stories, and the tales are sure to be read, told and then retold for years to come.

At times, “Birth” can seem random, following no certain timeline. First, Lucas is telling stories of Iowa State, then of his work with Doc Anderson and then may jump to 20 years later without any explanation.

But the randomness of Lucas’ stories adds to the charm of the book and keeps the tone light, as it is meant to be. Lucas sticks to the true definition of storytelling and aims to please.

“Birth in a Chicken House” is currently available locally at Campus Book Store.

Kelsey Foutch is a junior in journalism and mass communication from Waterloo.