Criticism for Randy Alexander from a former customer

Jason Mclatchie

I’d like to constructively criticize Randy Alexander and the Department of Residence.

First off, I want to say that a few of the issues the department deals with are commendable, but it takes only a few moments to look back at the yearbooks from 25-30 years ago to see the “progress” that has been made.

Twenty-five years ago, house loyalty was at an all-time high with houses bonding together for a number of traditional floor activities.

Today, there is an entire building that requires involvement in some form of activity during the semester. Granted, these requirements are not overbearing, but the fact that they are moving towards this is comical.

The Master Plan seems to have an emphasis on privacy (apartments and suites), and the DOR is well-known for its rainbow view of appreciating differences. They should consider the possibility that the more you promote individuality, the less people will get involved with group activities.

Iowa State was once a model for other schools with its unique house style of living. Many schools could not duplicate it even with effort.

The main reason is that you cannot create tradition. The DOR has managed to take out much of the tradition from the halls, and with every step, there is no turning back. They should not be so hasty in decisions that destroy tradition.

When you destroy a tradition, you don’t necessarily destroy the people involved, but you do destroy the heart of the institution, and with it goes a reason to be involved in it.

Last year, some in IRHA and RCA Student Government happened to discover some ancient archives of Residence Hall Week past. What they discovered boggled their minds.

The events were popular and well organized. There were large concerts and great speakers, such as Bill Cosby. Last year —even with the effort from capable leaders and supportive DOR staff — they mustered up an ice cream social and the selling of a few ugly T-shirts.

Years ago, Bergman House would have a pie-eating contest that would raise money for a local charity. Because the dorms were strong on campus, this activity was a huge success.

They would have hundreds of teams show up and the college radio station would broadcast live. Even most of the greek houses participated! That event was just one by a small house of 50 men!

Today, this type of event would fizzle at most. Even backed by a strong BWR programming board or even IRHA, this event would not be the hit it once was.

Why? What brought about the shift?

It may have been a change in power and control. The houses were once controlled mainly by a strong government of which the house president was the leader. Because the students had control over the policies and activities, there was a reason to be involved.

My, how things have changed. By tightening its grip on those living in the dorms, the DOR has managed to let the natural leaders slip through its hands. No one will rise to the top when there is no top to rise to.

The DOR is on its way to making everyone equal, but at the same time, they are making the living situation sterile. In just the four years that I lived in the dorms, the change was dramatic. I can’t imagine what it will be like when Randy’s Master Plan is finally realized.

I urge the DOR to take a look at the way things are and think outside the box.

The solutions you’re looking for are not in the direction you’re headed. It is not about bureaucracy and red tape. It is not about control and policies.

The answer may be in those who it affects. Give them some power, and see where they take it. Let them make some decision regarding how things swing where they live. After all, this is their home.

If Emerson House wants to keep the logo on the elevator doors, let them. If the “wellness floor” decides it doesn’t represent them — they will change it. Trust them. as they are adults — not all that younger than most of you. Your degree or position does not make you more responsible, caring or more knowledgeable about issues. Listen to the students, and let them try their ideas. Give them a sense of importance.

Give them a voice.

In a culture that highly values extraordinary customer service, maybe the DOR should take a page from that book and listen to its customers.

Jason McLatchie

Alumnus

Ames