Veishea chairs speak

Justin Wilhelm and Justin Chesnut

As Veishea 2000 general co-chairmen, we encourage anyone who is interested in the future of Veishea to apply for a position on one of the 13 subcommittees to be part of the planning and implementation of this spring’s celebration.

If Veishea is to thrive in the future, you as students of Iowa State University will be responsible for making changes necessary for the continuation of the time- honored traditions that the true Veishea has stood for since 1922.

ISU is truly lucky to have Veishea.

In a time when dozens of schools are losing their spring celebrations due to problems similar to those experienced in Veishea’s past, we have been given the opportunity to restore Veishea as a true celebration of this institution.

Several institutions have inquired about how ISU has been able to save this spring celebration.

The answer is the students.

Students have embraced the idea of preserving a valuable piece of ISU’s identity.

These students find great truth in a statement made in an editorial two years ago by the Editorial Board of the Daily, “Iowa State is synonymous with Veishea. The two cannot be separated.”

Without the dedication of these students, the event that has offered so much to the students and their organizations over the past seventy-seven years would be lost.

This same dedication will be required for Veishea to thrive in the future.

We have been fortunate enough throughout the past several months to acquire a great deal of feedback, criticism and support regarding the past two Veishea celebrations.

This input is what it will take to ensure that Veishea offers something great for all members of the Cyclone Family.

Unfortunately, some student groups have been underrepresented both in their input to Veishea and also their participation on Veishea planning committees.

It has been a goal of the Veishea committee to keep in mind the tastes and wishes of all student groups as plans are made and events organized.

In order for this to be achieved, it is essential that students from a wide array of unique backgrounds, tastes and personalities become involved in the organizing of this spring celebration.

These applications are listed on the web page at www.veishea.org and in the West Student Office Space of the Memorial Union.

Please be sure to pick one up today and be a part of the success of Veishea 2000.

Justin Wilhelm

Veishea co-chairman

Senior

Mechanical engineering

Justin Chesnut

Veishea co-chairman

Senior

Agricultural systems technology