Tennis team upsets Drake

Judd Hawkins

ISU Tennis coach Michelle Conlan expected her team to be competitive when they traveled to Des Moines last Thursday to duel Drake.

Even though she didn’t say it, she probably expected them to win. What she didn’t expect was for her team to flat-out dominate the Bulldogs.

Conlan’s expectations were both met and exceeded as the Cyclones thrashed Drake 8-1 in their first and only dual this fall season.

“Drake is a very good tennis team,” said Conlan. “They beat us 9-0 last year, and they went on to qualify for the NCAA tournament. I’m very proud of our girls for the way they performed against a quality opponent.”

ISU took control early, winning all 6 singles matches. The Cyclones were led by sophomore Noortje Cornelissen and senior Kendra Leese.

Cornelissen defeated Cecily Dubusker 7-5, 6-2 at number 1 singles, while Leese took the number 2 singles match 6-4, 6-1, beating Rajasree Kuruvilla.

Conlan gave praise to her lone senior.

“Kendra is playing great tennis right now,” she said. “Last year she didn’t have the success she wanted, but she has really stepped it up this fall and led this team.”

Sophomores Edna Vazquez and Karin Westberg, along with freshmen Kristen Gyaki and Tara Goedjen were also victorious in singles matches for the Cyclones.

Westberg was the only one to drop a set in any of the matches, losing the second 6-0. She quickly responded by cruising to a 6-1 victory in the third set to capture the match.

“We won every first set, and that was big,” commented Conlan. “Edna was down 4-3 in her first set, and she showed a lot of guts in coming back for the victory. Its impressive how well the girls performed in tight situations and in closing out matches.”

The Cyclones also took 2 of 3 doubles matches.

Kendra Leese and Gyaki defeated Cindy Skogerboe and Daria Kotchoubinskaya 8-6. Vazquez and freshman Courtney Leese won 8-5, defeating Bulldogs Melissa Emmons and Traci Hogan.

Drake’s lone point on the day came at number 1 doubles when Dubusker and Kuruvilla beat Cornelissen and Westberg 8-4.

“This performance should give our girls a good idea of what they can do,” said Conlan. “This will be the duel that will carry them through the winter.”

The Cyclones will next compete at a doubles tournament in Manhatten, Kansas on the 30th and 31st of October. “I don’t expect them to let up one bit,” she says. “If they continue to keep a high level of focus, then good things will happen.”

On an additional note; Cornelissen, Kendra Leese, Vazquez and Westberg have been invited to compete at the ITA regionals Nov. 4-7 in Salt Lake City, Utah.