GSB senators may reconsider approval of Veishea pledge

Wendy Weiskircher

Although the Government of the Student Body passed a resolution Wednesday to reaffirm the Veishea pledge, the traditional spring celebration still lies in jeopardy.

Since last week’s GSB meeting, when a three-hour debate concerning the future of Veishea concluded in a 27-9 approval of the resolution, questions have risen regarding the decision.

The resolution, which reaffirmed a safe, multicultural and alcohol-free Veishea pledge while expressing GSB’s opposition “to the way the administration has issued, either explicitly or implicitly, an ultimatum,” may be debated again.

Wendell Mosby, FCS, will make a motion to reconsider the resolution.

“I really didn’t vote the way I wanted to vote,” he said. “I compromised my integrity when I voted yes.”

Mosby said he is not alone in his regret.

“A lot of senators cowered out of voting the way they wanted to,” he said. “If you believe in something so much, you have to stand up for it.”

Mosby feels so strongly about this motion that if the senate votes not to reconsider the resolution, he is prepared to resign from GSB.

“Everyone is saying we have to save the tradition for the alumni,” he said. “In my opinion, we shouldn’t have to accommodate the alumni, we have to accommodate ourselves. Times have changed, and they have to adjust with the students.”

However, a motion to reconsider the bill as a whole would be out of order, said Chris Wisher, off-campus. Instead, a motion to amend something previously adopted can be made, provided no irreversible action has been taken. This would allow senators to make amendments to the passed resolution.

“Some senators have been working very hard to make sure all students understand what we are voting on,” Mosby said. “There is a lot in the works to modify the resolution so it will be clear what the rules are.”

However, as the passed resolution “encourages the ISU administration to give the student body a significant role in formulating the student conduct policies governing the Veishea 2000 celebration,” other senators think it is sufficient in increasing student involvement in composing the rules.

“I don’t think we should re-vote because of the progress that has already been made with the administration on making the rules,” said Luke DeKoster, RCA, author of the resolution passed last week. “It has been really positive so far.”

Alex Olson, off campus, agreed that a cooperative effort between the administration and GSB already is underway.

“We met with Dr. [Thomas] Hill, [vice president for Student Affairs], and had a good discussion,” Olson said.

An ad-hoc committee has been formed to act as the contact between the administration and GSB.

“It is a temporary committee which will work with the administration to formulate different suggestions for the pledge,” Olson said.

The focus of the debate has shifted from the alcohol-free status of the celebration to clarifying the rules for Veishea in the student conduct code, Mosby said.

“I don’t think the wording will change the spirit of the pledge,” said Matt Craft, GSB president. “It will provide more detail about the student conduct code.”

However, other senators still are dissatisfied with the passed resolution.

“I’m still unhappy with the entire Veishea ultimatum,” said Jonathon Weaver, TRA. “I feel like there was a lot of pressure on GSB to decide whether or not to have Veishea.”

Weaver said the criticism GSB has received since it reaffirmed the pledge is undeserved.

“When you’re given that ultimatum, it’s a lot more than just saying we’re going to stand up against the administration,” he said. “It wasn’t passed to be passive toward the administration; it was passed to save Veishea.”

Despite the ongoing controversy, some senators stand by their vote.

“For the most part, I believe the senators voted as the constituents wanted,” Olson said. “The responses I’ve gotten are good.”

Olson pointed out that about 75 percent of e-mail responses to an off-campus survey were in favor of preserving Veishea, a figure consistent with the about 75 percent of senators who voted to approve the resolution.

“I’ve received in the order of 800 e-mails, and roughly 70 to 80 percent have supported Veishea,” said Michel Pogge, off campus. “I stand by my vote of yes.”