Showcase ‘99.5 to feature unusual dresses, artwork

Erin Hicks

Dresses made out of “caution” tape, wire and plastic?

That’s nothing out of the ordinary for the Department of Textiles and Clothing’s Showcase ‘99.5 exhibit.

The event, which is open to the public, will be held today from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the LeBaron Lounge.

“The exhibition will be open to the public, and everyone can come and vote for their favorites,” said Jane Farrell-Beck, university professor of textiles and clothing.

Voting will end at 4:30 p.m.

About 37 fashion clothing designs, portfolios, posters, items made of plastic and other pieces are going to be displayed.

Certificates will be given to all participants for Best of Show and other category awards, including Apparel and Wearable Art, Portfolio or Presentation Board and Problem-Solving Exercise.

Farrell-Beck said one intriguing item is a dress completely made of plastic put together by wire. It also has yellow “caution” tape worked into it.

“It will be really interesting to see what is going to be in the showcase because of all the creative ideas,” said Lacey Bell, senior in apparel merchandising, design and production.

Bell is participating in the showcase for the first time.

Her exhibit was a project for her experimental design class, a “grapevine” dress she constructed with vinyl.

“It has fake grapes as well as ivy on it,” she said.

The showcase is an annual event, but this is the second show this year.

It typically has been held in February, but it changed to a fall event to avoid competition with the department’s spring fashion show, Farrell-Beck said.

She said this change also will allow students planning to graduate in December to exhibit their work.

The showcase is open to graduates and undergraduates who major or minor in textiles and clothing.

Students who study in the department are required to show twice during their tenure at ISU, once at the junior level and once at the senior level, and either at the showcase or fashion show.

About 200 people usually come to see the exhibits, Farrell-Beck said, and refreshments will be served.

“I encourage people to come,” she said. “It is a fun and relaxing event that is late in the afternoon.”