Promise Keepers to host Des Moines conference

Christa Burton

Promise Keepers, a controversial national Christian men’s movement, is hosting a conference at Veteran’s Memorial Auditorium in Des Moines this Friday and Saturday.

Reaction to this event at Iowa State varies.

Some see Promise Keepers as a way to encourage men in their faith in God and family values, while others see it as a threat to women’s equality.

“It is important from the point of view that men are called back to their faith of belief in God and living a life that reflects a love for God and a respect for God,” said Jerod Smeenk, 536 Forest Glen.

Smeenk has attended Promise Keepers’ conferences in Minneapolis, Minn., Omaha, Neb., and Memphis, Tenn., and he plans to attend the conference this weekend.

Andrea Conner, educational programmer for the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center, said she could appreciate the spirit of the group, but she had qualms with some of its messages.

“I’m pleased that they have such a commitment to their faith and are committed to improve their lives as husbands and fathers,” she said. “But it promotes a domestic lifestyle that I just do not agree with.”

The Promise Keepers mission statement, according to its Web site, www.promisekeepers.org, is “to be a Christ-centered ministry dedicated to uniting men through vital relationships to become godly influences in their world.”

The organization has hosted dozens of conferences every year since its beginning in 1991.

Conner, graduate student in educational leadership and policy studies, said she does not support the conference’s goal to make men better heads of their households.

“Possibly unintentionally, it just kind of perpetuates a lifestyle that the woman is to look to the man for all the answers,” she said. “I feel that women have answers of their own.”

David Schweingruber, assistant professor of sociology, said he understands how some may view the idea of a male-led household as a threat.

“A lot of Promise Keepers would say that being the head involves being a servant to their family, but for a lot of people that goes against their view of marriage as an equal partnership,” he said.

Schweingruber attended the Promise Keepers conference in Washington, D.C., in October 1997 as part of a study on mass demonstrations.

While he said the conference was one of the best organized he had ever witnessed, he has mixed feelings about the group.

“I think men have caused some major problems in society, and it is good that they try to encourage each other to improve,” Schweingruber said.

Besides equality issues, some do not support Promise Keepers because of religious differences. Randy Jackson, director of the men’s outreach program of the Sloss House, has no plans to attend the event.

“I am not opposed to them, but I have no need for them in my life,” said Jackson, undeclared graduate student.

“I have never felt the need to join a large group and profess my faith that way.”

Hector Avalos, faculty adviser to the ISU Atheist and Agnostic Society, supports the Promise Keepers’ right to speak, but he said agnostics and atheists do not necessarily agree with what they have to say.

“We would say that you can live a very constructive life without God, but they do not think you can,” said Avalos, associate professor of religious studies.

Smeenk, former worker with the ISU Fellowship of Christian Athletes, said he would encourage others, no matter what their religious background or beliefs, to attend the conference with an open mind.

“Personally for me, Promise Keepers is an awesome opportunity to reflect on faith and belief, to be encouraged in my daily faith and walk with God,” he said.

He also said he believes it is a rare chance to spend time with other males in a setting where they can praise God together and be vulnerable with each other.

The theme of this weekend’s Promise Keepers conference is “Choose This Day,” in reference to the Bible passage Joshua 24:15.

The conference features eight speakers on topics such as “Being a Godly Family in and Ungodly Culture,” “Disciplines of a Man Who Chooses Christ” and “Becoming the Spiritual Leader of Your Home.”