Proteus provides financial backing for farm students

Kari Berns Tjossem

Paying for a college education is not an easy task for anyone.

But paying for that education with income earned from farm work, especially during the hard times that are hitting farmers, is as difficult as picking corn without a combine.

That’s one reason why Mike Meier, senior in agricultural business, said he is glad he is using Proteus, a federally funded, nonprofit organization that is helping him finance his education.

Proteus is a program designed to help farm workers who earn at least 50 percent of their income or spend 50 percent of their time working on the farm. The program, founded in 1979, helps both individuals and communities.

Proteus helps farm workers get training for full-time jobs, aids migrant families and provides educational services.

One of the first things Meier received from Proteus was money to cover the cost of his books.

“Books are a big thing,” he said. “They cost $400 this semester.”

Meier also received money for tuition and for minor car repairs. At present, he is paid $2.25 for every hour he spends in class and also is given a bag of groceries every month.

“I thought it was a pretty good deal, especially books; I can’t stand paying for books,” he said.

As in a job, Meier is required to show up for class or make up class time missed by meeting with a teacher’s assistant or professor.

“The instructor signs off on a time card,” said Penny Rudshagen, career development coordinator at Proteus. “It encourages study time.”

Rudshagen meets with Meier once every month to track his progress in school. Every month, Meier’s professors are asked to complete a student progress report to ensure that he is getting the help he needs.

Meier said the interest Proteus takes in his education is a big motivator.

“I want to work harder,” he said. “I don’t want to let them down. I want to do good.”

Rudshagen said she has been with Proteus since 1991. “I like being able to get out and actually help students,” she said.

There are a lot more students out there who are eligible to receive help from Proteus, she said. The only problem is that they don’t know the help is there.

Meier said he learned about the program when he saw a flyer posted on a bulletin board at Des Moines Area Community College this summer.

“I meet a lot of people who would be interested if they knew more about it,” Meier said. “I encourage students to get a hold of us.”

Rudshagen said Proteus doesn’t do a lot of advertising, but the organization does post flyers and meet with financial aid advisers across the state.

For students who attend four-year colleges, assistance is available during a student’s last two years, Rudshagen said. The program is designed to help people get into the workforce within two years.

Proteus has offices in Muscatine, Iowa Falls, Des Moines, Fort Dodge and Sioux City. For more information, contact Proteus at 1-800-372-6031.