Group of ISU students promotes GIRLS Power

Lana Gertsen

A group of Iowa State students is trying to change the way middle school age-girls see themselves.

At the time when elementary school children make the transition into middle school, self-esteem can be a big issue, said Rachel Ravitz, sophomore in elementary education.

“I remember that was the time when I had my big pink glasses,” she said.

“You’re going through so many changes from elementary to middle school, and if your experience in [middle school] is bad, it is bad in high school, too,” she said.

Ravitz is one of 10 mentors who will be working with seventh grade girls at Ames Middle School through the GIRLS Power program, which is sponsored by the ISU-Ames YWCA and the Ames branch of the American Association of University.

Genuinely Intelligent Rambunctious Leaders [GIRLS] Power was developed two years ago to help seventh grade girls learn leadership skills and maintain confidence and self-esteem.

Judy Dolphin, executive director of the YWCA, said the program is aimed at increasing confidence in girls who are at a fragile stage in their lives.

“Girls at this stage of transition are often in danger of losing their self-confidence and self-esteem, especially if they get caught up in peer pressure or if they don’t find a way to fit into their new setting,” she said.

The intent of pairing college aged women with seventh grade girls is to encourage the girls to focus on leadership, career exploration, community service, fundraising and social activity, Dolphin said.

She also said that last year the girls and their mentors participated in several fun activities, including a visit to the ISU virtual reality lab, participation in a communications workshop and a sleep-over at the ISU Women’s Center.

Jalila Faisal, program assistant for GIRLS Power, said a primary goal of the mentors is to help the seventh graders learn what their career options are.

“We want to get girls interested in careers they’re not normally pushed towards,” said Faisal, sophomore in speech communication.

Faisal also said there still are openings for mentors. She said good candidates would be female ISU students who are outgoing, confident and want to make a difference for girls who might not otherwise have someone to talk to in their lives.

For more information about GIRLS Power, contact Dolphin at 294-1663 or e-mail [email protected].