Christians and piffle

Jean Fitzpatrick

One might assume a senior in English might be able to articulate his feelings and concerns to his professors in a polite and private manner, but seeing as how you have decided to present your foolish argument in a public forum, I have an opportunity to correct your blind misunderstandings and self pity.

I have taken Dr. Avalos’ classes. I know Dr. Avalos fairly well; he is my advisor. But I don’t see how his questioning any given position could be taken as a promotion of an atheistic agenda.

Rather, he is challenging us students to think about the reasons for our beliefs. (GASP!)

As an instructor in a religious studies class, Dr. Avalos not only takes a neutral position in regard to the personal beliefs of his students, he also studies religion as objectively as possible. He has to.

It would not be ethical for him to force any belief down his students’ throats. And believe it or not that includes Christianity. He presents the varying viewpoints on biblical passages fairly, representing as many different sides as possible.

Does he deride Christianity by taking “pot-shots?” Certainly not! He does point out several inconsistencies in the Bible. But that’s because they are there! If you had continued the class with an open mind you would know this.

The only reason people drop from Dr. Avalos’ classes is the same reason people drop from any other class: They can’t handle it.

They need to be affirmed that they are right and that they are the only ones who are right. And I thank God that you will never find such a religion class on this campus.

Go to your church. Ask them for a bible study. There you can count on being taught that your beliefs are right. God forbid you should open your mind to a new idea.

As far as the “promotion of atheism” making it difficult to be a Christian.. If it’s hard to be anything in this country it is a non-Christian. There are over 23 different Christian clubs and organizations here on campus. There are only eight non-Christian religious organizations including one Buddhist, one Baha’i, one Jewish, one Islamic, and one Pagan.

Now we have an atheist and agnostic group. Oh dear. How dreadful for all those who attend the 87 strictly Christian churches in the area.

Even if forming a campus organization represents a promotion of atheism, I think there are enough Christians in the United States to counteract any mischief those naughty organized atheists might cause.

Good God! Look at the numbers, man! There are far, far more Christians in U.S. society today than non-Christians. If all Christians agreed to declare abortion illegal or to promote sanctioned school prayer, it would be done.

Non-Christians are mere piffle compared to the numbers of Christians that agree that abortion should be legal and that school prayer should be abandoned. Non-Christians are not your problem.

As far as you needing to defend Christianity? Get off your high horse. In this society, it’s the rest of us that need defending from the tidal wave of rabid Christian proselytization.

Jean Fitzpatrick

Senior

Religious studies and biology