Jerrett little boy, zealot

Daniel Nguyen

How dare Mr. Jerrett deem those who don’t read the bias-ridden Daily or his pointless rants to be “Helen Keller[s]” (“GSB senators fail to take stand while mugging for cameras,” Oct. 15)? Not only is this an offense to the memory of a brave woman, but it is also a weak metaphor. Someone who doesn’t read the Daily or take what is said in it to be correct is no more lacking in sight than someone who avoids cow dung is lacking in a sense of smell.

But maybe Mr. Jerrett wants to be offensive. Maybe this is his way of showing that he’s a big boy and that he has the guts to fight the forces of evil. Maybe Mr. Jerrett should grow up. The conflict over a dry Veishea is not the universal battle for freedom that he or the unbalanced coverage by the Daily make it out to be.

It is not simply just a case of the administration trying to control the students, but a case which involves bureaucratic B.S. that cannot be fixed by a simple “no” vote in GSB.

It took more courage for the senators to vote for the pledge, knowing they would be labeled as spineless by loud-mouthed zealots like Mr. Jerrett, than to “gloriously” engage in a pissing contest against the administration that would have done nothing to further student rights and would have ended Veishea.

It is strange that Mr. Jerrett accuses the senators of acting like high school boys with respect to student rights, because it appears he lives in a little boy’s world where all the good guys are white knights and bad guys are Nazis. He does a disservice to the entire issue and those who actively participate in it by painting it in black and white. Sadly, Helen Keller could see more shades of gray to the issue than does Mr. Jerrett.

Daniel Nguyen

Freshman

Computer engineering