New book reading series opens with renown author

Kelsey Foutch

A new inspiration for students to get their creative juices flowing begins today and will continue throughout the year.

Iowa State’s “Imagining the Land” reading series will “cause students to think outside their discipline and will show people the connection between science and art,” said series supporter and ISU creative writing instructor Sheryl St. Germain.

The reading series invites a number of different authors to visit the university and read some of their works and speak about their writings.

Planned topics include the poetry of Mary Swander, Bob Tremmell and Pattiann Rogers, and a reading of students’ own works.

The first in the series will be noted Midwestern author Scott Russell Sanders, making a variety of appearances today on the ISU campus.

From 11 a.m. to noon, Sanders will speak to undergraduates in Room 212 of Ross Hall about writing in a sense of place. Then, Sanders will read from his nonfiction writings at 8 p.m. in the Memorial Union’s Sun Room, followed with a book signing at 9:15 p.m..

There is also a question and answer session planned between Sanders and faculty members from various departments.

Sanders has received numerous awards for his writing, including the Kenyon Review Award for Literary Excellence and the PEN Syndicated Fiction Award.

His articles have appeared in journals such as Harper’s and the Utne Reader. In addition to being an accomplished author of fiction and non-fiction, Sanders has also authored numerous children’s books and is a columnist on new fiction for the Chicago Sun-Times.

Sanders was chosen as the first in the series because of his expertise in Midwestern writing, says St. Germain. Series founders wanted someone who really knew the land, instead of someone from the East or West Coast.

St. Germain is especially enthused about Sanders’ visit to ISU.

“I am deeply moved by his writing. He’s a very charismatic man,” St. Germain said.

Critics across the country agree with St. Germain’s praise. Sanders has received acclaim from the Chicago Tribune, the Columbus Dispatch and Publisher’s Weekly.

Both of today’s events are free and open to the public.