Newsgroup ponders origin of universe

Christa Burton

When the creation science versus evolution debate is mentioned in the news or on campus, members of the Iowa State Students for Origins Research get busy e-mailing each other.

Students for Origins Research, an e-mail newsgroup on campus, provides individuals with the opportunity to debate their views about creation science and evolution through e-mail.

“We see ourselves as a forum to discuss creation-evolution, and we do that over the Internet,” said Tim Borseth, informal adviser of the organization. Borseth works full time with college students at ISU through Great Commission Ministries.

Lynnette Turner, president of Students for Origins Research, said while both views are discussed through e-mail, the organization itself focuses on promoting creation science.

“The main purpose would be to let other students know there are other alternatives to the theory of evolution,” said Turner, sophomore in psychology.

Borseth said he discovered that some students want to hear more about creationism and evolution after getting a positive response from a showing of the video “Evolution: Fact or Belief?” last year in the Towers Residence Association.

“It really put the idea in our minds that this issue, especially creation science, was not being well-represented on campus,” Borseth said.

In addition to the e-mail newsgroup forum, the organization holds yearly debates or lectures on creation science and evolution to help represent the issues.

“The most important aspect of having debates and lectures is to expose the students to the two primary views or origins – Darwinism and creationism – and to do so in an objective and scientific format to explain to students that there is credible scientific evidence for the model of creationism,” Borseth said.

Last spring, the organization held a debate open to the public in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. The debate featured Duane Gish, vice president of the Institution for Creation Research, defending creation science and John Patterson, professor emeritus in materials science and engineering, defending evolution.

The debate was followed by a question-and-answer session, in which attendees had the chance to question the two experts.

“I really liked how so many people got up and asked questions,” Turner said. “There were actually more questions than we had time to answer.”

Matt Graham, member of Students for Origins Research, also enjoyed last year’s debate.

“I think it is just a good forum for getting a better understanding of an issue, and it gives you different perspectives, not just one,” said Graham, senior in sociology.

This spring, Students for Origins Research hopes to hold a lecture by ISU alumnus Donald DeYoung, currently a professor in astrophysics at Grace College in Indiana and member of the Institution for Creation Research Board.