Atheist, agnostic group promotes discussion

Christa Burton

In an attempt to offer an alternative to the numerous student religious organizations, several Iowa State students recently formed the ISU Atheist and Agnostic Society.

“Last year it was conceptualized, but it was not until this year that someone came along that had the time and energy to put into it,” said Hector Avalos, adviser to ISU Atheist and Agnostic Society.

That someone is Douglas Ficek, president of the Society. Ficek’s hope is that the organization will create a sense of balance among the campus organizations.

“ISU is saturated with religious organizations, and there is not one group that’s purpose is the discussion and promotion of secular ideology,” said Ficek, junior in philosophy.

Avalos, associate professor of religious studies, agreed with Ficek’s view of the ISU philosophical climate.

“You have a lot of religious organizations, but you have no balance, no nonreligious organizations,” he said.

The newly formed organization already has about 40 members, Ficek said.

Avalos and Ficek have four main goals for the organization. The first is to promote atheism and agnosticism.

“We want to provide a support group for people on campus that do not believe religion is the best approach to life,” Avalos said.

The second goal is to provide a respectful atmosphere for discussion. Ficek is anxious to talk about ideological issues, but he stresses that one of the most important ideals of his organization is respect.

“This is not a group about theist-bashing. There will be discussion about ideology, but disrespect will not be tolerated,” he said.

The group also wants to serve Ames and surrounding communities, as well as defeat stereotypes about atheists and agnostics.

Ficek said he believes atheists and agnostics are sometimes viewed as angry or bitter individuals. Through this organization, he wants to replace that image with one of people who promote discussion and work to help the community.

The next meeting of the ISU Atheist and Agnostic Society will be tonight at 6 in Room 160 of Carver Hall.