Notes rule

Lindsay Sharar

I have to put in my two cents on this Notes issue. The professors most angry on this issue know students can and will succeed in their class solely by using the Notes.

What does this say about the class? It says being there isn’t important and the experience of class participation is absent. I had many classes where you could easily study your notes and nothing else and get an “A.”

The classes I learned the most from are those that made the learning an experience.

The art history teacher who was a story teller and made me feel like I was there with Da Vinci. That great public relations teacher who created scenarios and got excited and waved her hands and jumped up and down to express herself on just how important P.T. Barnum really was.

The purpose of Notes is to help us LEARN. Isn’t college supposed to have that same purpose? Why would professors not want us to have another tool to help us learn?

Because it makes them look bad when students can pass their classes without being there. It’s a poor reflection on them and their teaching skills.

Barbara Mack couldn’t have said it better: “I’m willing to support them if they’re helping students to succeed.” Plain and simple.

She obviously cares about her students. She obviously wants them to learn and take something from the class. She obviously teaches a class that involves the students and doesn’t test your intelligence solely on your notes. Notes are an aid, and few students just buy them and never go to class. Even if they did, aren’t THEY the ones paying to be there?

If they fail, it’s their money and their bad grade. Using Notes can help a “B” student get that “A,” and isn’t that what college is about — doing the best you can?

I got so tired of some professors bossing me around as a lowly student when I was paying their salary. I paid to be in that class and for their services, and I wanted them to give me all they had.

I had some great professors at ISU, don’t get me wrong and it’s from those classes I remember the most.

Students, don’t let the professors tell you how you can and cannot study. It’s not right. This “copyright” stuff is a cop out, and you all know it. Let’s not make learning political.

Lindsay Sharar

Alumnus

Ankeny