Baritone brings experience to ISU

Trevor Bleedorn

After shining shoes for 15 cents a pair, an 8-year-old boy gives his parents $25 of his hard-earned money.

Values like love and generosity came early to internationally-renowned musician Simon Estes.

Grandson of a slave and son of a servant, the young Centerville boy learned the importance of family and education at a tender age.

Estes, bass baritone and featured performer at some of the world’s major opera houses, will bring his talents and worldly experience to Iowa State’s campus for a two-week residency.

Activities in honor of Estes’ visit include lectures, vocal rehearsals with ISU students and a variety of musical performances.

The events will culminate with “Celebrate America,” scheduled for 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 25 at Stephens Auditorium.

This special concert will involve a plethora of ISU students and faculty. Sue Haug, head of the ISU Music Department, will accompany Estes on familiar tunes such as “Go Down Moses” and “Old Man River.”

“I will never forget the first time I played with him,” Haug said. “I think tears were rolling down my face.”

Faculty members are well aware of the significance of Estes’ residence. Haug is particularly aware of the trials Estes overcame to reach his goals.

“This is a person who had a real struggle getting into the opera houses,” Haug said.

Haug stressed that Estes brings with him a great perspective of global experiences.

“I’d like to offer the university my experiences throughout the world,” Estes said.

Besides founding a number of important foundations and scholarships, Estes has been a professor at the Julliard School of Music in New York City since 1985.

After starting at the University of Iowa in pre-medicine, the singer was introduced to opera by Charles Kellis.

“[College] helped prepare me,” he said. “I hope to have coped better with all of my professional experiences.”

Estes said that college was one of the most enjoyable times of his life. Once he parted from family and school, Estes encountered his toughest challenges.

After opera houses turned him away again and again, Estes turned to God and his family.

“I have dealt with these problems through prayer and not having fear,” he said.

Estes’ persistence finally paid off when he sang the title role in “The Flying Dutchman” in Zurich in 1976. Despite his phenomenal success today, Estes still concentrates his energy on the elimination of racial hatred and discrimination.

“I have never shied away from right,” Estes said. “If something is wrong, I think it should be addressed. I have never spoken out with bitterness. I have always tried to do it in a courageous and factual way.”

Today, Estes feels he has found a happy medium between performing and his various humanitarian philanthropies.

“I like to share my knowledge as well as my personal means,” he said. “We live in a world where there are people who have and people who don’t have. “I think [sharing] was a gift from God, and I don’t do it for any personal gain at all. I’m happy for the other person who has received what I have given them.”

Estes will share a lecture/question and answer session titled “The Artist as a Public Figure: The Responsibilities of a life in Public View,” today at 1:10 p.m. at the Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall.

Another public lecture, “Breaking Barriers — The First African American to Sing in Bayreuth,” will be held tonight at 8 p.m. in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.

He will answer questions and sign copies of his book, “In His Own Voice,” at both lectures.