Students gain experience in learning communities

Carrie Ann Morgan

For some students, the residence halls are just a place to live before they move on to other housing arrangements. But for students who take part in residence hall learning communities, the dorms provide much more than just room and board.

Learning communities are clusters of students in Iowa State residence halls with similar academic interests. The communities are designed to help freshmen get to know the campus, make friends in their majors and have other students to study with.

“I’m liking it; it’s good. I’m getting along with everybody great, and if I need help studying anything, we’re all in the same classes so it works out well,” said Barry Tewes, undeclared freshman participating in the Cross-Cultural Learning Community, located in Devitt House, Linden Hall.

“I think it’s a great way to meet new friends and adjust to college life,” agreed peer mentor Elizabeth McNeill, sophomore in biology involved in the Biology Education Success Team, located in Miller House, Elm Hall.

Kurt Earnest, coordinator of academic services for the Department of Residence, described learning communities as “an effort to bring students with common academic interests together by linking courses and/or by housing the students together.”

Freshmen are offered an opportunity to take part in learning communities when they apply for housing and during summer orientations. Advisers, with the help of the Office of the Registrar, place students into three courses specifically set aside for students in learning communities.

The students then choose other elective classes to complete their schedule.

The number of residents participating in learning communities has increased significantly since 1995, jumping from 407 students to 1,697.

Currently, 15 learning communities, including three new ones this fall, are available for students.

The current available communities include: Agriculture Community Encourages Success, Biology Education Success Team, Carver Multicultural Learning Community, Computer Engineering, Cross-Cultural Learning Community, Design Exchange, Honors Housing, Industrial Manufacturing Systems Engineering, Leadership through Engineering Academic Diversity, Wellness Community and Women in Science and Engineering.

The three new groups this fall are Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering, Animal Ecology and Casa Hispanica.

“They’re great, fantastic opportunities for students, a connection to the university,” said Doug Gruenewald, assistant coordinator of academic services for the Department of Residence. “It enhances learning that goes on in classes. They combine common academic interests but also everything a large university has to offer. It’s the best of both worlds.”

Julie Stegeman, undeclared freshman, anticipates gaining a lot from her experience in the Cross-Cultural Learning Community.

“I expect to make lifelong friends, broaden my horizons and see what else is out there, not to be close-minded,” she said.