K-State presents huge roadblock

Justin South

After posting a shutout at UNLV last weekend, the pressure is on for Dan McCarney and the Cyclones to continue their undefeated season. This weekend, the Kansas State Wildcats will give the Cyclones their stiffest challenge yet in the young 1999 season.

Iowa State enters the contest nationally ranked in several categories, including first in rushing offense with 354.3 yards per game average.

The defense has looked strong thus far and ranks sixth nationally in total defense.

In spite of the Cyclones’ first 3-0 start since 1981, injuries have hit the Cyclones recently.

Starting center Ben Bruns is out and redshirt freshman Zach Butler has taken his spot. Defensive tackle Ryan Harklau and cornerback Jamarcus Powers are likely gone for the season, so junior tackle Nigel Tharpe and cornerback Atif Austin, a redshirt freshman, have entered the starting lineup in their places.

On the strength of Darren Davis’ 185 yards rushing per contest average — good for second in the nation — and an efficient passing game led by junior quarterback Sage Rosenfels, the Cyclones have jumped to a 3-0 record entering conference play.

And then there is Kansas State.

Junior quarterback Jonathan Beasley has taken the reigns from Michael Bishop and led the Wildcats to a 2-0 start.

Receivers Aaron Lockett and Quincy Morgan and running back Frank Murphy lead the offense.

Murphy ranks seventh nationally in rushing, at 152.5 yards a game average.

Lockett, a sophomore, returns following a promising freshman year in which he caught 44 passes for 928 yards and six touchdowns.

Morgan, a junior college transfer, leads the Wildcats with three touchdown catches.

A unique cog in the offense is left tackle Damion McIntosh. Because of depletions in the line, McIntosh moved from his starting defensive tackle spot for his senior season. McIntosh was a second team All Big-12 selection last season.

However, despite the move of McIntosh to the offensive side of the ball, the strength of this team is the defense, ranked second in the nation.

Kansas State is ranked second in pass defense and fourth in rush defense, allowing just 94 yards rushing in two games.

The defensive line is led by senior defensive end Darren Howard, a first team All-Big 12 performer in 1998.

Senior linebacker Mark Simoneau is recognized as one of the top ‘backers in the country and was a second team Associated Press All-American last season and a first team All Big-12 pick.

The secondary features all Big-12 safeties Jarrod Cooper and Lamar Chapman.

Historically, the Cyclones lead the series 46-32-4, but recent history has not been kind to ISU. The team has not defeated the Wildcats since upsetting the then-18th ranked squad, 27-23 in Ames back in 1993.

Last season, Bishop and the Wildcats thrashed the Cyclones, 52-7 in Manhattan.