Weekend Calendar

Daily Staff Writer

Thursday

“Smokey Joe’s Cafe,” 7:30 p.m. at Stephens Auditorium; $17, $14, $10 for students, $34, $28, $20 general admission.

Strange Pleasures with Hydroplane at People’s Bar and Grill.

Friday

“The Good Times Are Killing Me,” 7:30 p.m. at Fisher Theater; $4.50 for students, $10 general admission.

The Frogs with Ultimate Fakebook, 10 p.m. at The Maintenance Shop; $8 for students, $10 general admission.

The Confidentials at People’s Bar and Grill.

Roomful of Blues, with Kevin Gordon, 7 p.m. at Val Air Ballroom in West Des Moines; $10 in advance, $12.50 at the door.

Dave Zollo Band with Tangletown, 9:30 p.m. at Connie’s Lounge in Des Moines; $6 at the door.

The Chicken Hawks with Johnny Black and the Assassins, 10 p.m. Hairy Marys in Des Moines.

Saturday

“Celebrate America” concert with Simon Estes, 7:30 p.m. at Stephens Auditorium; $5 for students, $10 general admission.

The Joshua Bell Quartet, 7:30 p.m. at the Civic Center in Des Moines; $10.50.

Brenda Weiler, 9 p.m. at The Maintenance Shop; $5 for students, $6 general admission.

Molotov Cocktail with Squidboy, 10 p.m. at Hairy Marys in Des Moines.

Central Iowa Barn Dance, 8 p.m. in the dance studio of the Forker Building; $4.

Sunday

Jazz at Lincoln Center 1999 Fall Tour: “Rockin’ in Rhythm,” 7 p.m. at Hoyt Sherman Theater in Des Moines.

35″ Mudder with Deviant, Mr. Plow and Custom, 5 p.m. at People’s Bar and Grill; $6.

Iris Dement, 9 p.m. at The Maintenance Shop; $10 for students, $12 general admission.

ISU Collage of Choirs, 3 p.m. at Stephens Auditorium; $4.

“The Good Times Are Killing Me,” 2 p.m. at Fisher Theater; $4.50 for students, $10 general admission.

Mark Humphries, 8 p.m. at Court Ave. Brewing Co. in Des Moines.

Art Exhibits

“Pop Culture: America in the 20th Century,” at The Octagon Center for the Arts (through Nov. 7).

“All Dressed Up: Dolls from the Collection of Ann Brunnier,” at the Brunnier Art Museum (through Dec. 31).

“Beyond the Horizon: Robert Sudlow and Keith Jacobson,” at the Brunnier Art Museum (through Jan. 7).

“Permanent Collection Landscapes,” at the Brunnier Art Museum (through Jan. 7).

“Building a Legacy: Collectors from the Permanent Collection,” at the Brunnier Art Museum (through Jan. 7).

Upcoming and Noteworthy

Celine Dion at the Omaha Civic Arena in Omaha, Neb. (Sept. 29).

The Glenn Miller Orchestra at Val Air Ballroom in West Des Moines (Sept. 29).

Phish at Hilton Coliseum (Oct. 1).

Joe Diffie with Heather Myles at Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Des Moines (Oct. 5).

“Beauty and the Beast” at the Civic Center in Des Moines (Oct. 8-17).

311 at Sokol Auditorium in Omaha, Neb. (Oct. 19).

Ani DiFranco at Stephens Auditorium (Oct. 23).

Victor Borge at the Civic Center in Des Moines (Nov. 6).