The Tearoom lets students learn while customers eat

Erin Hicks

The Tearoom opened its doors Thursday for another year of serving Iowa State faculty, staff and students to a restaurant atmosphere on campus.

“The students greet and seat guests, as well as take their money,” said Janice Dana, program coordinator of The Tearoom.

The Tearoom is located in Room 23 in the basement of MacKay Hall and is open Monday through Friday from noon until 1 p.m. by reservation only.

The Quantity Food Production Management class, HRI 380, ultimately runs The Tearoom, said Dana, professor of hotel, restaurant and institution management.

Each lab section has about 16 to 18 students who work at The Tearoom. They don’t get paid, but they do earn class credit and experience in working at a restaurant.

HRI 380 gives the students hands-on experience in preparing and serving food, production, dining room activities and cashier duties, Dana said.

According to the College of Family and Consumer Sciences Web page, “students assume responsibility for planning, preparing and serving noon meals of a main entr‚e, salad/vegetable, bread, dessert and beverage.”

The Tearoom typically seats 75 to 95 people but has the capacity to hold 105 guests, Dana said. The restaurant is nonprofit, and the money earned goes into supplies, food and maintenance of the facility.

Faculty and staff developed new recipes this summer, including 50 to 60 new menu items. Some of the items that will be introduced this semester are wrap sandwiches, more ethnic foods, roasted vegetables and several new salads and desserts, Dana said.

In the past, most of the customers have been faculty and staff members, although groups of students and former students of the class have eaten there as well, she said.

“We are happy to have students eat at The Tearoom,” Dana said. “However, it is sometimes complicated with their schedules.”

The Tearoom has a set menu for each day, and each meal costs $4.05. Reservations can be made from 7:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. by phone at 294-3330.