Campus prepares for colder weather

Adam Frederick

Today is the first day of fall, and Iowa State students are preparing for the cold, snow and illness associated with fall and winter.

“The outlook that I saw [Wednesday] said that winter in the mid-part of the country will be warmer than normal,” said Bill Gallus, assistant professor of geological and atmospheric sciences. “But we can expect some very cold outbreaks.”

However, people start to feel under-the-weather when fall kicks in, and Sarah Dent, dietitian for the Student Wellness Center, said they should make a special effort to take care of themselves.

“Students need to try to not let their class schedules get in the way of eating well and getting plenty of sleep,” she said. “If you find yourself not being able to eat well, general vitamins and minerals would be helpful.”

But even when students eat and sleep right, illness still can strike. One option to prevent a winter illness is to get a flu shot from the Student Health Center, which gives them at a reduced price.

The flu shot differs from year to year, depending on what strains of the flu virus are expected to be a threat. The center will be giving flu shots at the Memorial Union on Oct. 4, 11 and 15 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

In addition to preparing for winter illnesses, some students should anticipate possible car problems.

“The big thing with winter is that they have a good battery, cooling system and tires,” said Jeremy Glawatz, assistant manager of Butch’s Amoco Service Center, Lincoln Way and Duff Avenue. “Just like summer, make sure that everything else is OK.”

In addition to keeping cars in good working order, making sure the gas tank isn’t almost empty is beneficial. “This helps keep the fuel line from freezing,” Glawatz said.

However, even the most prepared person may experience car trouble during tough winters. If a battery is dead, students can call the Department of Public Safety at 294-4428.

Some of the more serious problems with cold and snowy weather don’t occur in parking lots. When driving in winter, the possibility of getting stuck in the snow or having one’s car break down is always a possibility.

According to an American Red Cross press release, anyone expecting to travel during the fall and winter months should carry a winter survival kit, including a blanket or something to keep warm.

The survival kit also should include some snack foods to keep energy up and a flashlight with batteries kept separate to prevent accidental usage.

One should also carry a red flag to tie to the antenna to alert rescuers.

While Iowans may have to worry about some cold outbreaks, Gallus said he doesn’t believe they’ll have to be concerned about excessive snowfall.

“I have a gut feeling that it will be a little drier than normal because the last four winters have all been really snowy here,” Gallus said. “I keep thinking one of these years we have to have a not so very snowy winter.”