Students get chance to send parents to class

Tom Schipper

Parents of Iowa State students will have an opportunity to go to class in an event sponsored by the Student Alumni Association coinciding with this year’s Family Weekend.

The event, titled “Send Your Family to Class,” will be held in two one-hour sessions Saturday at 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. in Gilman Hall.

David Critchlow, assistant director of Student Programs, said parents will be able to see what it’s like to be in the shoes of an ISU student for a day.

“Parents will have an opportunity to experience the same thing students do on a day-to-day basis,” he said.

Critchlow said the event will be similar to a lecture that students attend daily, and parents will be involved in the lecture as much as possible.

“The goal is to try to be interactive,” he said.

Quinn Showalter, entertainment chairman for Parents Weekend and freshman in agricultural studies, said both of the sessions will be taught by Larry Genalo, associate professor in material science engineering.

Showalter said the lecture will be entertaining for everyone.

“We are going to try and do some fun experiments that will be fun to see for little brothers and sisters as well as parents,” Showalter said.

The free lecture will involve experiments put together by Genalo, Showalter said.

“Parents can expect some fun entertainment involving fire and loud explosions,” he said. “We want to get as many people as possible.”