Graduate scholarships spark debate at GSS meeting

Timse Patel

Graduate Student Senate members and Iowa State faculty argued at the GSS meeting Monday for more graduate scholarships.

In the open forum, Marit Nilsen-Hamilton, professor and chairwoman of biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology, said more money should be available for graduate scholarships because they are assets to professors in helping to teach and conduct research.

“As a department, we depend upon graduate students,” she said.

Iowa State requires its Ph.D. students who have passed their oral preliminary exam to pay tuition and fees, while other universities do not, said Richard Walsh, GSS vice president.

“I do not attend classes anymore, and yet I still pay tuition,” he said.

Nilsen-Hamilton said she believes paying for graduate students, like other universities, will make ISU more competitive in recruiting students.

“You can’t offer less money and compete at the same level,” she said. “In order for this to occur, ISU has to offer a competitive tuition package, which means that tuition is paid for.”

Although she said an estimated $4 million is needed for tuition, only $1 million has been requested.

“Water on a stone eventually makes its way through,” she said.

Brad Powers, Government of the Student Body representative, said efforts have been made to start allocating funds to the graduate student programs.

“The Board of Regents has recommended $650,000 for Iowa State graduate student scholarships,” he said.

Some students who support the $650,000 allocation have undertaken a letter-writing campaign directed at Gov. Tom Vilsack, Powers said.

“We are trying to avoid the amount decreasing by the time it gets to the Legislature by lobbying,” Walsh said.

Computer fee and tuition increases also were discussed at the meeting.

The Computer Advisory Committee made a presentation to GSS explaining its proposal to raise computer fees from $51 in 1999-2000 to $90 in the 2000-2001 school year. A similar presentation was given at the GSB meeting two weeks ago.

Walsh said the majority of graduate students see no shortcomings in computer facilities. Many graduate students use the computer facilities provided by their departments, he said, which receive research funding.

“Therefore, we are just not related,” he said.

Finally, GSS debated a resolution regarding the proposed 4.3 percent tuition increase for the 2000-01 school year.

Brian Crabb, GSS president, said for the most part GSS disagrees with that figure.

“We are opposed to the tuition increase, but we would reconsider if it is demonstrated that the increase significantly helps the students,” he said.