Parks and recreation committee seeks input on possible improvement projects

Erin Hicks

Ames residents and Iowa State students will have one last chance today to voice their opinions on possible improvements to city parks and recreational facilities.

The Parks and Recreation Planning Commission will hold a public meeting tonight at 7 in the City Council Chambers at City Hall.

The Parks and Recreation Department distributed about 1,950 questionnaires to ISU students, permanent Ames residents and Ames middle and high school students at random.

“The commission should be applauded for getting the community’s input,” said Nancy Carroll, director of parks and recreation.

After the Tuesday meeting, the commissioners will prioritize the suggestions and announce what improvements Ames residents can expect by the year 2020.

Carroll said it was crucial to get the public’s opinion in a project that ultimately will benefit them.

Of those who received surveys, nearly half of Ames residents and middle and high school students responded, while about one-fourth of ISU students responded.

Among the top facilities Ames residents would like to have are a new community recreation center, a swimming complex and additional biking and running trails, according to survey results.

Many surveyed agreed that a new recreation complex is needed, but the type of facility was not specified. ISU students also expressed interest in having more bike paths and a new swimming center.

Residents and Ames youth agreed that a new swimming complex was a priority.

High up on the younger students’ list was a new skateboarding and in-line skating park.

Questionnaire respondents also were able to submit their own ideas on recreational improvements, which varied from a go-cart track to a city zoo, according to the surveys.

Now that the parks commission has community input, members must determine what should be included in any new recreational facility, Carroll said.

Some suggestions include a gym, exercise and weight room, a boxing ring, a martial arts wing, a dance center, an arcade, pool and ping-pong tables, an indoor track, indoor soccer and football fields and indoor tennis courts, according to the surveys.

Along with the questionnaires, the Parks and Recreation Department has been holding informal meetings and small focus groups with prospective recreational facility users, Carroll said. The information gathering process will continue into October, she said.