Beyer Hall considered for renovation

Rob Gray

Deep ruts, streaks and divots pock the uneven surface of Beyer Hall’s basketball court.

The thin planks of wood that make up one lane are a rich brown, while others are drab gray, washed-out white, or dull beige.

At times, due to water damage and general wear, portions of it swell like waves, causing the multi-colored planks to part, falling on one side of the cap or the other.

Dust is usually so thick that running a fast break becomes more of an awkward, ungraceful ice skating routine.

But Beyer is nonetheless the preferred venue for “noon ball,” a lunch hour basketball break for faculty and students alike. In fact, part of Beyer’s appeal is the nature of its playing surface.

“Wood puts less stress on your knees,” said Greg Brinser, junior in marketing. “And Beyer gives us old-timers and slow-pokes a chance to play ball without getting run over like at the [Lied] Recreation Center.”

While Beyer enjoys some affection, the dilapidated condition of the floor causes some concern.

“When it’s wavy and pieces are missing, it’s a little hazardous,” Brinser said. “It would be really easy to get injured.”

Beyer Hall, opened in 1964, still retains its original floor. For the past 35 years, improvements have come on a piecemeal basis: a reseal every four to five years, and “floor tiles added as needed,” said Gary Greenlee, co-coordinator of intramural athletics.

Because of the many other recreational options like the Lied Recreation Center, students haven’t complained much, Greenlee said.

“We get comments on it during basketball season,” he said. “But I think students understand that it’s expensive.”

Greenlee concedes that the surface is “marginal at best,” and “it definitely needs attention.”

He also notes that getting a new floor for Beyer has been high on the Department of Recreation Services priority list for the past several years, but funds have been lacking.

“We always want to provide the best quality facilities for our students,” Greenlee said.

Now — due to a relative windfall of funding — Beyer Hall may finally get the new floor it needs.

The Department of Recreation Services portion of fees based on the number of full-time students has jumped from 30 cents per student to about $2.11 per student.

This results in the department, “being able to pick up some projects ourselves,” said Scott White, business manager of recreation services.

The cost of a new maple floor is estimated to be $138,000, White said, and up until now, this has been the major sticking point.

With the fresh funding on its way, White hopes to have a new floor in Beyer “within the next year or so,” he said.

After having Beyer’s refurbishment on the agenda for such a long time, however, nothing is certain.

“I vaguely remember a complete sand-down and reseal in the late seventies,” White said.

The slow, tedious process of replacing Beyer Hall’s 35-year floor may be reaching its conclusion soon. That it has taken so long is no mystery to White.

“Based on other things (such as the university’s need to maintain and expand academic programs), this is never going to be a priority,” he said.