Just let that tootsie roll

Erika Brandt

There are all sorts of dance opportunities on the Iowa State campus, and all of them don’t necessarily involve ballet, modern and tap.

An Introduction to Belly Dancing class, taught by Lisa Rich-McKelvey, is being held every Wednesday night from 6:15 p.m. to 7:15 p.m. in the Workspace of the Memorial Union.

The class, which is available to ISU students for $24, started Sept. 8, and will continue for four more weeks.

The introductory course teaches the basic steps of belly dancing and also gives students an opportunity to make a pair of belly dancing pants.

At the end of the five weeks the class will have a Hafla, a Middle Eastern party, where the students will have the opportunity to look through magazines to purchase belly dancing merchandise as well as learn what they can do to continue their belly dancing training.

Rich-McKelvey said that students take this class for many reasons.

Some take it to compare the techniques of belly dancing to the dance techniques they might already know. In addition to teaching the technical aspects of belly dancing, Rich-McKelvey tries to teach the culture and history of this art form.

“I want to bring a certain understanding and appreciation for another culture,” she said.

Rich-McKelvey started belly dancing six years ago when she took a class at the Octagon in Ames. She was looking for a dance style that didn’t require a partner.

“I love [belly dancing] because it is good exercise,” Rich-McKelvey said, adding that she enjoys belly dancing because it doesn’t discriminate between race, size and gender.

Last spring, Rich-McKelvey taught her first class at The Workspace. She said that the university was looking to follow the lead of other universities by branching out into more performing arts opportunities for students.

Rich-McKelvey explained that belly dancing originated with the gypsy tribes of the Middle East. Through migration, belly dancing steps and techniques changed from country to country.

Belly dancing, which emphasizes the abdominal muscles, hip moves and chest moves, is traditionally danced barefoot to eastern music.

Most dancers are accompanied by a rhythm instrument, however, the earliest instrument to accompany this type of music was finger symbols.

But music is only a small component of belly dancing.

Rich-McKelvey, whose stage name is Shiara, said stage names are a very theatrical part of the art.

“It is hard to be yourself in front of a room full of people. A stage name makes it easier,” she said. She noted that dancers pick a name that fits the mood of their dance.

If you are interested in the class, call The Workspace at 294-0970.