Wiese takes leadership in stride

Emily Graham

Rob Wiese is no stranger to busy schedules, and he’s certainly not scared of them.

Since coming to Iowa State seven years ago, Wiese has filled many leadership positions campuswide.

He has worked his way up and this year has taken on a full-time paid position with the university as program assistant with Off Campus and Adult Student Services.

“Our office provides services for all off-campus students,” Wiese said. “We help commuters form car pools; we deal with a lot of landlord/tenant disputes — all that keeps us pretty busy.”

Many students don’t realize that off-campus and adult students make up 65 percent of the student population, he said.

Wiese started his leadership days as a residence hall house treasurer. He then decided to run for IRHA’s North Friley Hall representative, and he won that position.

After only a few weeks in that position, he then applied for vice president of finance for IRHA.

One semester later, Wiese was president of IRHA.

“I really started to get involved because other people were afraid to do things, so I would step up and take the responsibility,” he said.

While Wiese was running IRHA, he also was a forum director for the Student Union Board, president of the Contemporary Concerts Committee and president of Habitat for Humanity.

He also worked with then-Assistant Dean of Students Terri Houston as the chairman for the Assistant Dean’s Liaison Council.

With all these activities, Wiese said his grades eventually suffered.

“I really had to learn to prioritize,” he said. “There was a time when student organizations were the highest on my priority list.”

Delegating responsibility was extremely important in keeping on top of things, Wiese said.

“That is the hardest aspect of a leadership to learn, but it is also the most beneficial,” he said.

In August 1997, Wiese graduated with a bachelor’s degree in agricultural studies and a minor in agronomy.

Then Wiese decided to run for Government of the Student Body president for the 1997-1998 school year. He won that position and spent the first year of his master’s work running GSB.

That is when he met current GSB President Matt Craft.

“My first impression of him was that he is kind of a small-town guy you could sit and talk to in a coffee shop,” Craft said.

After his tenure as GSB president was up, Wiese moved on to become president of the 1998-1999 Graduate Student Senate.

Wiese now has a more supervisory role as GSB adviser. Craft said he chose Wiese as an adviser to GSB because of his experience in the president post.

“I figured since he has already gone through this he will be a tremendous asset to GSB, not to mention he is one of the most productive people I know,” Craft said.

“He is someone I can go talk to and joke around with, but he is all grown up now,” he said.