Central Campus receives landscaping honors

Tara Payne

Iowa State’s central campus was lauded Wednesday by the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) with a medallion recognizing central campus as one of 300 significant landscapes across the nation.

Members of ASLA presented ISU President Martin Jischke with a medallion to place on central campus. The event was held Wednesday afternoon north of the Campanile.

“When I came here nine years ago, I couldn’t believe the size of central campus,” Jischke said. “It’s really quite inspiring.”

Jischke praised the work of former ISU President A.S. Welch, alumni, builders, landscapers and his predecessors who have protected central campus over the last 130 years.

“This is in recognition for the work of a lot of people,” he said. “We owe a lot to these people. I hope for the next 100 years our vision will be at least as bold.”

David Sadler, an Iowa chapter member of ASLA, said though it was a challenge to choose the five sites in Iowa to be honored, ISU’s central campus was on the top of the list.

Backbone State Park in Delaware County, Eagle Point Park in Dubuque, the Loess Hills in Western Iowa and the Neal Smith National Wildlife Reserve in Prairie City were the four other Iowa sites presented with medallions.

Honoring special landscapes is part of ASLA’s centennial program. Thirteen college campuses were chosen, but only three of those were central campuses — Yale University, University of Virginia and ISU.

Local chapters of ASLA nominated the sites they thought were worthy of the award.

“The medallion honors special places where humanity celebrates the richness of life,” said Tom Dunbar, former president of ASLA, during the presentation.

Dunbar said the criteria for the award were that the site had to be well-loved and used by many people.

Robert Harvey, temporary professor of landscape architecture, gave a brief history of central campus at the ceremony.

Harvey said central campus has stayed virtually the same for the last 130 years. The original plan of central campus was designed by Welch and his landscape gardening students in the 1860s.

There have been building developments around the area, but the 20 acres of central lawn have been left open.

“It hasn’t changed a great deal since I was a student,” Dunbar said. “I hold it very dear to my heart because I am an alum and it’s in Iowa.”