Adult students find support

Daily Staff Writer

For nontraditional students who still are trying to find their footing at Iowa State, there are several groups available to help get them on the right track.

Awaken, a support group for adult students, meets Fridays from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center.

Other programs that deal with relationships and self-esteem, academic help, carpooling, housing, leadership and city information are also available.

Adult students will have a second chance to attend a Transitions orientation during spring semester, said Penny Rosenthal, director of Off Campus and Adult Student Services, located in Room B6 of the Memorial Union.

They also have the opportunity to participate in a follow-up seminar in October that will address financial planning and a seminar in November that will address career planning, Rosenthal said.

But adult students don’t have to attend one of these functions to find answers to their questions or just to find comfort and support, she said.

“If you’re feeling isolated, and you feel that the university doesn’t meet your needs or that it doesn’t even recognize you’re here, stop by the office,” she said. “We’re a small corner of the campus, but we’re here for you. You are not alone.”

— Lana Gertsen