Rabideau hopes to improve relations with students

Pat Glennon

Peter Rabideau, former dean of the College of Basic Sciences at Louisiana State University, assumed his new role as the dean of Iowa State’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences on July 1.

Rabideau replaced previous Dean Elizabeth Hoffman, who left ISU in October 1997. Two interim deans filled the position while a nationwide search was conducted.

In addition to his nine years of experience at Louisiana State University, Rabideau has been a National Science Foundation officer and a department chair at the University of Indiana.

Rabideau already has ambitious projects for the college, including personnel changes, college promotion and student outreach.

“One of my goals this summer was to do a better job promoting the LAS College as one of the pre-eminent colleges at ISU and also to take a leading role at the university,” he said.

Rabideau has instituted several other changes, including restructuring the office, revamping job descriptions and conducting faculty searches for retiring professors, he said.

Rabideau said his goals are to have more student involvement in the college and to improve relations with students.

“The ideal method of student outreach is in the form of student council representation,” he said.

The effectiveness of the new programs will be tested when students begin their fall classes.

“I have not yet visited with the students, so I do expect some complications when they arrive because all changes have been made this summer with most of them gone,” Rabideau said.

He felt that these issues will be resolved quickly with the help of student input.

ISU President Martin Jischke voiced his approval of Rabideau.

“I think we’re very fortunate that he accepted our offer to become the new dean of Iowa State’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences,” Jischke said. “He has had a very distinguished career as a chemist and as a accomplished college administrator, and we are already beginning to see his impact on the college in the short time he has held the position.”