Moving on in …

Wendy Weiskircher

Crowded parking lots, pounding hammers and sweaty movers lugging suitcases and boxes up flights of stairs marked Iowa State students’ annual return to the residence halls.

From nervous freshman taking the first tentative steps toward college life to seniors moving back to the dorms with seasoned finesse, students battled the heat and masses of other movers who blanketed the campus last week.

The lines outside the crowded elevators proved a challenge to some movers. “It was crazy,” said Karl Hehr, junior in history and resident of Friley Hall. “Lots of people, lots of steps. I kept seeing people laying all over the hallways because it was so hot and they were carrying so much.”

“It was crowded,” agreed Dee Gatton, junior in biology and resident of Willow Hall. “It seemed like everyone moved in at the same time.”

The temperature, which climbed into the 80s during prime moving days, didn’t help ease the strain. “It’s hot,” said Jennie Rose, sophomore in chemical engineering and resident of Wilson Hall. “I plan on being here awhile.”

Freshmen got their first taste of dorm life, and some nerves still needed soothing. “I’m still nervous,” admitted Daniel Hunt, an undeclared freshman, “but I don’t know what I’m nervous about yet.”

New faces became familiar sights as students became acquainted during their moves. “I’m not really nervous, mostly excited,” said Katrina Hopp, freshman in pre-computer science and resident of Storms Hall. “[Moving] was somewhat hectic, but not as bad as I thought it might be. I met a lot of new people.”

For most students, the burden of moving was shared by families and friends.

“I didn’t have to do too much, because the frat guys helped me move in,” said Jeremiah Cantu, a grateful freshman in computer engineering and resident of Friley Hall.

Parents and siblings were on hand to carry the boxes and suitcases upstairs, but as students were preparing for the year, some emotional parents were struggling with letting go.

After helping her freshman son, Jeff, get settled in his room, Sharmayne Hartwell of Simsbury, Conn., had to say good-bye and make the long trip home. “We’re excited for him,” she said, “but we’re a little sad. I’m going to miss him.”

Hartwell won’t be able to visit her son this semester, which made the good-byes more permanent.

“I feel a little weird being so far from home,” said Jeff Hartwell, freshman in civil engineering and resident of Wallace Hall. “I’ll only get to visit for major holidays.”