Ames businesses welcome back ISU students

Tori Rosin

Some Iowa State students may not be happy to be back in Ames, but local businesses were ready and waiting for their return.

“There’s definitely an increase in business — everyone’s been coming in for backpacks, clothes and bedding,” said Sara Niemand, sales associate at JC Penney in North Grand Mall, 2801 Grand Ave.

Business had slowed down considerably during the summer, said Niemand, an undeclared sophomore.

Many Campustown businesses were affected in a similar manner during the summer.

“Anytime that half the town leaves, business drops off,” said Steve Huebner, franchiser of Domino’s Pizza, 118 Hayward Ave. To remedy the loss of students, Domino’s marketed directly to Ames residents during the summer, he said.

Other establishments in Campustown used different marketing and staffing tactics to keep business steady while students were away.

At Copyworks, 105 Welch Ave., the summer months bring in a limited clientele.

“We go from a lot less walk-ins to serving mostly businesses,” said Dustin Brase, store manager.

Brase, senior in management information systems, said Copyworks also cuts the staff in half during the summer, “because students may go home or have another job elsewhere.”

Peeples Music, 303 Welch Ave., cut their summer hours.

“We weren’t open Sundays,” said salesclerk Dan Fjelland, sophomore in history.

Some businesses had just as much or more business during the summer compared to the school year. Day Dreams, 2408 Lincoln Way, was one of those businesses.

“We were open more because students work here, and they could work more,” said Kristi Tesar, Day Dreams employee and junior in architecture.

However, Tesar said students weren’t the reason for the store’s boom in business.

“We have less business from students, but people travel here from smaller towns like Marshalltown, Fort Dodge or Perry,” she said.

Large department and discount stores such as Target, 316 S. Duff Ave., also had an active summer. “Business didn’t really drop,” said Bill Zook, Target manager.

Zook said students came to the store for its “back to college” department, which sells merchandise geared for apartments and dorm rooms.