Englin brings experience to new position

Pat Glennon

Peter Englin, coordinator of residence life, has been selected to replace Houston Dougharty as the associate dean of students at Iowa State.

Englin’s appointment begins next week as a part-time position, and he will be full-time following Labor Day.

Dougharty currently is serving as vice president for Student Affairs and dean of students at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, Wash.

Englin’s tasks as the new associate dean will include supervision of student programs such as Student Legal Services, ISU Parents Association, Off Campus and Adult Student Services and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Student Services.

He also will serve in an advocate role with other academic and non-academic services.

Englin said the students of ISU will be his main focus in his new position.

“I would like to help students get the most out of ISU and provide services and perspective in making a smooth transition and helping provide the best experiences while in college,” he said.

Kathleen MacKay, dean of students, said Englin’s experience separated him from the pack of about 50 candidates.

“We had really great candidates, but Pete really rose above the rest,” she said.

“We were impressed with his wide variety of experience, and that was a major factor,” MacKay said.

“The associate dean of students does a lot of different stuff, so we need a good generalist.”

Englin said his 17 years in residence life gave him a unique and applicable experience for the position.

His experience with students in and out of class regularly were part of his duties as residence life coordinator.

Englin’s education includes a bachelor’s degree in zoology and a master’s degree in counseling and guidance from North Dakota State University in Fargo.

He is also a Ph.D. candidate in hotel, restaurant and institution management as well as family and consumer science education and studies at ISU.

The search committee to replace Dougharty consisted of:

* Vernon Wall, assistant dean of students;

* Susan Meylor, a representative of the parent’s association

* J.D. Beatty, assistant dean of Liberal Arts and Sciences

* Mimi Benjamin, coordinator of residence life

* Matt Bettis, senior in management information systems

* Nancy Evans, associate professor in educational leadership and policy studies

* Nina Grant, agricultural program coordinator

* Xavier Allen, senior in business

* Brian Tenclinger, coordinator of Greek Affairs

* Stacie Kagan, graduate student in family and consumer sciences