Vulgar ‘South Park’ causes carding crackdown

Kelly Cizek

With their cheesy poofs in hand, students are flocking to see one of the summer’s raunchiest movies, “South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut.”

The heavy vulgarity in the movie has led local theater owners to exercise extra caution in letting movie patrons in to see “South Park.”

In Ames, the show is being shown on just one screen at Varsity Theatre, 2412 Lincoln Way, next to campus.

Kim Adams, manager of Varsity Theatre, said Varsity’s close-to-campus location figured in to the decision to run the boorish flick.

“We’re right by campus, and that is the prime audience for a film like ‘South Park,'” she said.

Although Adams said she welcomed the idea of showing “South Park” at her theater, there was some skepticism about how the staff would keep youngsters out of the theater.

“This is the first time we have done really intensive carding,” Adams said.

Despite the heightened carding, Adams said she has seen 7 and 8- year-olds in the theater.

“I wouldn’t take my kids to it,” she said.

An “R” rating on a movie generally doesn’t cause as much uproar as did the “South Park” movie. It was recalled several times prior to release for abusive language and narrowly avoided an NC-17 rating.

“The mass majority knows it is a pretty raunchy film,” Adams said.

Arthur Stein, general manager of the Home Box Office in Des Moines, said there have been few complaints from parents regarding the “South Park” movie.

“We haven’t really heard many complaints,” he said. “The audience just loves it.”

Adams said that of the few complaints, the majority have been concerning the fact that a valid ID proving the movie-goer is old enough to enter the movie must be shown.

“We have heard more complaints from parents who are upset that they have to accompany their kids into the theaters than about the actual content of the movie,” she said.

Despite the blatant vulgarity and frequent abusive language, Adams says the release of “South Park” in the Varsity Theatre has caused a rise in business.

“We were really excited to get it here,” she said.