Crime numbers in Ames constant during summer

Stacy Nicks

With students gone and large parties at a lull, many would expect the crime rate in Ames to take a plunge during the summer months.

However, according to Ames Police, the city continues to be active and criminal mischief is still a problem.

“The town doesn’t just shut down; it isn’t a suitcase college,” said Sgt. Randy Kessel, Ames Police public information officer.

He said safety still can be an issue especially when large events, such as the Iowa Games and the motor coach convention, increase the population by 7,000 to 10,000.

Jerry Stewart, associate director of the Department of Public Safety, disagreed with Kessel’s sentiment, however.

“Overall crime has slowed significantly, as it does every summer when students leave,” Stewart said.

He said alcohol-related crimes, criminal mischief and assault tend to decrease in the summer, while burglaries and thefts seem to rise.

“The students leave, and the university is seen as a magnet for juveniles,” Stewart said.

According to Ames Police records from last year, 223 liquor violations were recorded in April while only 67 were given in May.

The lowest time of year for liquor violations was during December, with only 37 given.

“The OWI [operating while intoxicated] enforcement force stays constant. We still see a few drunken drivers out there,” he said.

Stewart and Kessel both said crime prevention does not change in the summer despite the loss of thousands of students.

“We maintain the same safety goals from school to summer,” Stewart said.