Iowa State program helps high school girls explore the Internet

Brooke Doering

Iowa State’s Internet Explorers program helps high school girls learn hypertext markup language (HTML) programming, research scientific topics and design Web pages geared toward middle school students.

Larry Genalo, project coordinator, said studies show girls in middle school are turned away from math and science, which is the reason the Internet Explorers program targets the high-school age range.

“Our main goal is to increase the involvement of women in engineering,” he said.

During the six-week program, girls stay in ISU residence halls and put in 40 hours a week fulfilling their Internet Explorer responsibilities, Genalo said. This program, now in its third year, has been successful so far, Genalo said.

“Nineteen of 20 participants from the first year’s program have now completed one year of college — 17 of which are science or engineering majors,” he said. “All 16 Internet Explorers from last year’s program are enrolling in college for the fall.”

Megan Marquardt, sophomore in materials science and engineering, participated in the first Internet Explorers program. She has returned to the program to help mentor 15 high school girls participating in this year’s program.

“This program was a good starting point to learn the Internet,” she said.

The Internet Explorers program prepares girls for college life, she said. “Since I chose to go to ISU, participating in this program got me used to the campus and showed me the responsibilities of college,” Marquardt said.

Mentoring the 15 girls has been a great experience, she said. “I enjoy working with these girls,” Marquardt said.

Other mentors are impressed with the ease at which the program participants learn computer skills. “These girls catch on so fast, they start to teach you,” said Lisa Foote, Internet Explorers mentor.

Many participants find the program offers more than experience. “The best part of the program is the friends I’ve met and the opportunity to be here at Iowa State,” said Veronica Cerda, a current Internet Explorer participant.