DeVries starts ASME term

James Erickson

Warren R. DeVries, professor and chair of mechanical engineering, started a three-year term on the American Society of Mechanical Engineers’ Board of Governors last week.

DeVries was elected by a nominating committee consisting of volunteers in the organization.

“I think it’s a great opportunity,” he said. “A lot of the issues today are technology related, so helping plan one of the fields of engineering is an exciting challenge.”

The appointment will reflect positively on Iowa State and create national and international visibility, DeVries said.

DeVries will be involved with content issues, methods of delivery and guidelines for the conduct of conferences.

The board meets four times a year and sets policy directions for the entire organization.

“It’s a great opportunity to serve, and I enjoy doing it,” said DeVries, who has been a member of the society for more than 20 years.

Dave Soukup, managing director of operations for the ASME, had nothing but praise for DeVries.

“He has brought a number of innovations to ASME through his work as the senior vice president for the council on engineering,” he said. “I am looking forward to working with him in his expanded role as a member of the ASME board of governors.”

DeVries has taught undergraduate courses on manufacturing processes and systems as well as computer-integrated manufacturing classes to graduate students.

He currently is researching systems designed for fixtures and tools for mechanical parts.

Founded in 1880, The American Society of Mechanical Engineers’ mission is to promote and enhance the technical competency and professional well-being of its members and through quality programs and activities.

The society serves professional and educational interests of 125,000 professional and student members around the world.