Professors to show off grilling skills

John Groen

Few things compare to the aroma surrounding an early spring barbecue — especially when a professor is manning the grill.

Central campus will be filled with the scent of freshly cooked hamburgers Friday, as deans and professors representing each of the different colleges at Iowa State square off for the title of “Veishea 1999 Faculty Cook-Off Champion.”

The contest will start at noon under the Veishea tent, located just south of the Campanile.

“We’re hoping to have the dean of each college, but other faculty members are welcome to participate in the competition,” said Natalie Carver, co-chairwoman of the Faculty Cook-Off.

Pitting one member from each of the colleges against each other will give every student a chance to see at least one recognizable face, said Paxton Williams, co-chairman of Veishea’s special events committee.

“We’re trying to generate some college pride and spirited competition between the colleges,” said Williams, junior in political science.

This year, the cook-off will be held in conjunction with the annual ice cream social.

“We’re hoping to attract students who attend the ice cream social to come participate in the judging,” said Carver, junior in finance.

Working on two large grills, faculty members will put their spatulas to the test as they attempt to create the best burger possible.

“Participants are encouraged to bring their own special ingredients to help spice up their burger,” Carver said.

Artistry in the burger-making process also is being encouraged this year.

“Hamburgers will also be judged on how well they reflect the overall theme of Veishea and their college, so creativity will be incorporated into the burger-making,” she said.

The task of judging the competition belongs to anyone in attendance.

“We’ll be cutting the hamburgers into fourths, so people can sample a few different professor’s burgers,” Carver said.

Students can then place a ballot for the professor of their choice.

The highest vote-getter will receive an embroidered apron. Last year’s champion was James Kliebenstein, professor of economics.

Hy-Vee Food Store is helping to sponsor the event by donating the 30 pounds of ground beef faculty members will use for the competition.