Cyclone QBs compete for starting nod

Mike Rosacker

Although this may surprise most of the Cyclones’ football fans, the Iowa State quarterbacks have enjoyed much success recently.

After a stellar career at Iowa State, former ISU quarterback Todd Doxzon made the Miami Dolphins’ squad last season, contributing on special teams and playing the option quarterback in short yardage situations.

Following the footsteps of Doxzon, Todd Bandhauer finished his career as the first Iowa State quarterback to notch a pair of 2,000-yard passing seasons.

He owns the school record for career touchdown passes (40) and is second on the all-time ISU career list with 5,234 passing yards.

The Sporting News and Pure-Football’s Draft Analysis have both said that Bandhauer has the potential to be selected in this month’s NFL draft.

Bandhauer was the Cyclones’ starter for two seasons, and the heirs apparent to run the offense are junior Sage Rosenfels, freshman Ben Dougherty and newcomer Derrick Walker.

Rosenfels was a four-sport standout in high school and has worked in the ISU offensive system for three years.

Dougherty is a redshirt freshman who led his high school team to a Washington prep title and threw for 6,760 yards with 74 career TD passes.

Walker was a two-year starter at Blinn (Texas) Junior College and possesses good size (6-2, 220) and speed to compete for the starting position.

These three signal-callers will all be given an opportunity to show their worth on the field.

Quarterbacks coach Phil Meyer thinks that spring practice is a good time to “evaluate the quarterbacks in terms of leading the offense,” and to see how they can produce on the field.

“We want to improve on our throwing game, including reads and keys,” Meyer said. “The reps in practice are essential for our quarterbacks to grasp and understand the offense.”

Rosenfels says that his goals for spring practice are to “learn more about the offense” and enter fall practice “in excellent shape and have good practices.”

Rosenfels believes he learned a lot from watching Doxzon and Bandhauer play.

“I learned a lot about toughness, both mentally and physically from them,” he said. “They took a lot of hits and played through pain. They were always prepared for every game and ready to lead the team.”

Rosenfels has completed 7 of 19 passes for 85 yards over the last two seasons and thinks that experience will help him in the future.

“Every time I went out I was less and less nervous,” he said. “There were times I went out there and did good and times I did bad. Now I can get a chance to improve.”

Rosenfels believes that his athletic accomplishments as a prep have helped him in becoming a better quarterback.

“In high school, I learned a lot about leadership and the intangibles of being a quarterback,” he said.

Coach Meyer has many expectations for his quarterbacks and hopes they accomplish three things in time for the 1999 season.

“Number one, I want them to learn the system,” he said, “number two, I want them to execute offense, and number three, [I want] them to let their natural God-given talents take over.”

Rosenfels has more experience in Dan McCarney’s offensive system than Dougherty or Walker, but Meyer makes it clear that the starting quarterback is far from being decided.

“We evaluate all three at each and every practice. All three are competing for the starting position,” he said.

“But the starting position is not locked up by any means.”