WISE to sponsor alumnae panel

Josh Herrington

A group of seven Iowa State alumnae will be the guest hosts of a special panel sponsored by the Women in Science and Engineering program.

The conference will be held Friday in Room 44 of the Durham Center from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The special guests include Suzy Vasa, Amy Odland, Katie Imming, Mary Beth Gurski, Shawn Little, Tomorra Matt Wessel and Janel Purdy.

The program is hosted by the Department of Computer Science with Rosemary Kellenberger, advising coordinator for the department, acting as event supervisor.

Kellenberger said the main focus of the event is “the recruitment and retention of women in the field of computer science.”

The conference, which is titled “Models and Mentors in Computer Science,” is intended to help female students in the field learn from the professionals’ experiences.

“All of the women on the panel are ISU graduates,” Kellenberger said. “Some have only been out of college for two years, while a couple have been out as long as 15.”

Krishna Athreya, program coordinator for WISE, said the forum is a chance for students to learn from the alumnae.

“The program for Women in Science [and Engineering] has been working with five other departments to help network women students,” she said. “This is an event sponsored by them for those purposes, both networking and role modeling.”

Jamie Parcher, student aide for the event, said it will be interesting to reconnect with “old friends” and hear what it is like “out in the business world.”

Kristin Casterton, student aide for the event, agreed the event is a good opportunity for female students to discuss professional issues.

“It … provides a really good chance to ask people in the industry what it’s like on the job,” said Casterton, senior in computer science.

Casterton said Friday’s program was partially sponsored by a grant from the Professional and Scientific Conference.

“It was done by invite, but any women interested in the field of computer science won’t be turned away if they want to attend,” she said.

Parcher, senior in computer science, said the event will be fairly relaxed.

“The panel will speak to whoever cares to come,” she said. “Drop in, have lunch and stay however long you can.”