Humane Society Club brings ‘pet therapy’ to Ames nursing homes

John Groen

Pets may be able to cure the soul, if not heal the body.

At least that’s the theory behind the ISU Humane Society Club. During the past year, this group of Iowa State students has brought “pet therapy,” along with several smiles, to residents of Ames’ nursing homes.

Pet therapy is the common term given to the new medical practice that emphasizes the importance of pets to one’s overall well-being.

“I think it is important to establish a human-animal bond,” said Whitney Bryan, co-president of the club.

While medical researchers continue to study the effects of individuals’ relationships with animals, these ISU students can see the benefits on the faces of everyone they visit.

“Their faces really light up when they see the dogs,” said Bryan, senior in animal science. “It brightens their day.”

This is the first year the ISU Humane Society Club has provided pet therapy, and the residents of the Grand Avenue Care Center, 3440 Grand Ave., and Riverside Manor, 1204 S. Fourth St., are enjoying it.

“The residents definitely look forward to it,” said Tracy Call, assistant activities director at the Grand Avenue Care Center. “People are asking when they will be coming again.”

Throughout the 1990s, the use of pet therapy has spread to nursing homes and medical centers nationwide.

Social scientists have conducted detailed studies on the positive cognitive effects of the “treatment” and discovered pet therapy provides nursing home residents with a feeling of humanness and anticipation they may be lacking. Pet therapy also creates a social outlet and an atmosphere conducive to reminiscing.

Although Call hasn’t conducted any official studies, she agreed that animals can contribute to the health of individuals.

“I definitely think it is a form of therapy for some of the residents,” said Call, who started working at the center in September. “A lot of residents are depressed, but when the animals come, it takes the negative thoughts out of their minds. You can see a change in attitudes after they’ve been here.”

The ISU club first was introduced to pet therapy by Paula Sunday, an animal behaviorist. She explained the process of the therapy and taught the group how to control and conduct the animals in a nursing home setting.

“I thought it would be a really rewarding experience,” Bryan said.

And the experience has been just that.

“They will interact with the pets and tell you stories about their past,” Bryan said. “It’s a good time.”

Bryan and her dog Phoebe are providing a much-needed outlet and source of interaction for the nursing home residents.

“It helps break up their day,” she said. “Anything that helps put them in a good mood is worth it.”

Although some cats are allowed, the majority of the animals taken to the nursing homes are dogs. While it is not mandatory for dogs to have taken an obedience class, the club does require pets to be calm and under control.

“Our biggest concern is having pets that try to jump up on people,” Bryan said.

Pets also need to be exposed to the different sounds and smells of a nursing home, she added.

The group has visited the nursing homes five times this year and is in the process of scheduling a sixth date.

The Humane Society Club is an ISU student organization, but pet therapy isn’t limited to just students.

“Anyone in the community with a dog that’s suitable is welcome,” Bryan said. “We’re always looking for more people.”

If you are interesting in learning how to become involved with pet therapy and the ISU Humane Society Club, contact the club’s adviser, Shelley Coldiron, at 294-4902.